Kanon - General Discussion

Okay guys, I’m giving you until Saturday the 2nd to get your recording in. Don’t delay!

This speech includes vague spoilers.

What Kanon means to me.mp3

To me, Kanon is a fairy tale, best told on a sunny winter day.
Mood-wise, it encompasses all facettes of the season, be it the simple happiness of riding a sleigh down a slope or the dread of getting lost in the middle a snowstorm. It’s a fairy tale I want to be told to children as they’re growing up, for it is a story of initiation, the story of a young boy and many young girls, each of them facing their greatest trial yet. Seeing as death is part of every route, those trials could hardly be harsher.

And yet, they must not falter or run away. For sad memories can only be turned into happy ones if you face those trials, the likes of which may repeat themselves again and again for as long as we live.

But the best part of Kanon, to me, is that there’s always hope. Just like how the harsh winter is followed by the gentle spring, you should know that the next miracle might be waiting just around the corner to reward you for your bravery.

3 Likes

As we grow and move forward with our lives, we make countless connections that we ultimately leave behind. So many childhood friends that shape us, but are destined never to meet again. Yet Kanon is not a story about how our childhood makes us who we are. Rather, it is a story about how the little things we do make others who they are. It is a story about the tiny ripples that we set into motion, and how those can become great waves.

We might be the unknowing object of a childhood crush, giving another the first taste of rejection and unrequited love. We might be the giver of a kindness that seems small to us, but is life-changing to another. We might be another person’s everything, their only friend in a world that rejects them, and ultimately the source of rejection that causes them to reject themselves. Or we could be the catalyst for a tragedy that, while it affects us deeply, is felt ever more keenly by another. In Kanon, we see all of these stories unfold: stories that might star us, if we only knew about them.

Ultimately, Kanon makes me look back on all the friends I’ve had in my life and wonder how they remember me. It makes me hope that my impact on their lives was a positive one, and it makes wish that I could reach out to those that I might have hurt.

2 Likes

Not sure where to put this but im currently playing mai route and the voices cut out at 1/26, does anyone know a fix for this bug? It also happened in Shiori’s route at 1/28.

During the bookclub it happened to all of us in the Shiori route. It fixes automatically after 2 days. For Mai, I didn’t have that problem, I don’t recall anyone else having such problem too though.

I fixed shiori’s route but right now im not getting any voices for mai in 1/26. Do you think you can send me your files for kanon and see if i can fix it?

Hmm, do you have a folder named 0007 in the KOE folder? There should be files named all the way up to Z000707999.

If that’s not the problem, it might be the seen file. This is what mine looks like.

I have all the KOE files, it probably might be cause of the seen file. It’s playing all right now thanks to Mogaoscar since i got his replacement files.

This seems the most appropriate location to inquire,

Has anyone heard anything on the possibility of Kanon (2006) getting a BD release in the U.S.? I own it on DVD, but the series looks amazing in 1080.

Funi (if you are in the US) has been releasing classics more on blu-ray recently (Haruhi, Ergo Proxy) but I must say I don’t feel confident they will do this with Kanon.

…And so I’ve rewatched Kanon (2006) for the… 3rd time?
Its been almost ten years since I’ve seen it for the first time yet I couldn’t stop watching.
I know that this is considered to be a common opinion, but Kanon (2006) anime is beyond great. It intoxifies you with character, with the story. Even though it is composed out of different heroine routes it still manages to feel like a single story.
Funny thing, I absolutely disliked an original VN and dropped it really fast… yet I wholeheartedly love this anime. Its there, on the very top of the list of titles I adore the most. Even rewatching it again I was so absorbed into the story, that now I consider to give yet another chance to the visual novel. Who know, maybe I will like it somewhat now? After all those years.
This is not something unique to Kanon, but characters look alive. I can understand how their relations proceed, why do they do one thing and ignore another. Personally, I find Shiori, Nayuki, and Sayuri to be the absolute best figures in this story. But I can’t not mention Kitagawa. What a good friend he is. What a good man he is. Though, he is probably one of the most underdeveloped characters in the story.
Seiyuu’s work is another thing I have to especially mention here.
Quite a few big names appear in this show. Sugita Tomokazu, Horie Yui, Sakamoto Maaya, Tamura Yukari, Seki Tomokazu… And they do their work perfectly.
I won’t say a word about character routes… I don’t want to spoil it. And I don’t really want to write anything on them unless I’ve read an original novel till the very end… But. As far as anime goes Makoto, Shiori, and Nayuki gave me the most satisfaction.

And once again, I won’t say goodbye to this show. I will hide that “goodbye” deep inside of myself.

1 Like

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I bought the Standard disk version, and I have been unable to get it to work. I have made computer region Japan (I’m pretty sure), yet it doesn’t work. Even after region change, when I install, the text to the Exc application where you install appears in symbols not in Japanese or English. I can install, and I can apply English patch. I have opened the game, and can see the English menu. I can click New Game. It will open up the game, and I appear to be stuck in the opening scene (white w/ the blue text box) with no text in the text box even after 15 minutes. I can move the mouse (appears as wings). So the game seems to partially work but I can’t figure it out. Can someone who has experience installing this game in the United States help me out?

Thanks!

Make sure this is what you’re changing.

For an easier option, try using HFAppLocale or Locale Emulator if you’re on W10. Should be pretty simple to use, they just add a right click option to run programs in Japanese.

Oh? I’ll take a look when I can. I’ll follow up with you probably in PM to not notify everyone!

It really would be nice if there was another Kanon bookclub… That would be my time to shine TwT

1 Like

You don’t need a bookclub to shine :ahaha: Just feel free to pour your heart out in our route discussion topics, and I’m sure the community would be open to discussing things with you, should you provide some new insight with the routes

2 Likes

Well anyway, I feel like talking about my love for Kanon, huehue.

Kanon saved my life in a way. I was in a really rough spot when I began to watch it. I’m not exactly sure why, but one fateful day as I was struggling with daily life, I suddenly felt like watching an anime.

Now, in all honesty, I haven’t watched as many anime as I should, the reason being because of a huge lack of energy and motivation. At the time, it was very rare for me to start an anime and actually complete it.

Even though I am a huge anime fan, I didn’t really have much to show for it, since my list of completed anime was honestly quite small (and even now it still kind of is). Because of this, I was surprised when I felt like watching one.

Considering that my favorite genre is drama, I was scrolling through MyAnimeList for ones with at least a decent rating, and came across Kanon.

The first thing I noticed was how familiar one of the characters looked. I then remembered that, SEVERAL years ago (like, back in 2009), I had come across a video centered around the very end of Mai’s arc in the 2006 anime. Of course, it contained major spoilers. I questioned how I was even able to remember this just by glancing at the character, but after reading the summary and becoming interested to see the context of Mai’s actions in the video, I hesitatingly decided to watch it.

I say “hesitatingly” because I definitely didn’t have high expectations. Despite its good rating on MAL, most of what I found on a Google search was people making fun of the 2002 version, and of course the classic “uguu” meme. At the time I didn’t even know two anime adaptations existed, and was confused to see screenshots that looked nothing like the only anime version I was familiar with (that of course being the 2006 anime). I of course also found people saying that it couldn’t compare to Clannad, so that lowered my hopes even more so.

Because of that, I just figured that Kanon was just a stereotypical romantic drama with a few minor feelsy moments scattered throughout. Since I honestly didn’t hear much about Kanon’s feels, I thought that I had nothing to prepare myself for.

On top of that, it’s 24 episodes. When I saw the episode count, I remember sighing and thinking to myself “I’m never going to finish this.”

Back then (and even now), I had trouble completing anime that were over 12 or 13 episodes. I thought that I would never finish it, but I could at least watch some of it to get my mind off things.

I was completely unaware of what was in store for me.

Simply put, Kanon exceeded my expectations to the extreme.
From the first episode to the twenty-fourth, I was completely hooked. In fact, I would have most likely binged the entire series in one go if I was able to. Never before have I been so hooked with an anime and felt so many emotions. Excitement, happiness, fear, sadness. I felt all of these emotions with the characters.

I was never bored, not even once. The story, the characters, the animation, the soundtrack… it’s all just so amazing. The characters are the best part to me. For a while Ayu was my favorite character, but Shiori soon stole my heart with how relatable she was to me. In fact, I could relate to all of the characters in at least one way. Despite its fantasy elements, the issues the characters go through are very much real, and I was able to sympathize with them. I like every single one of these characters.

Of course, the anime isn’t perfect. Some of the characters could have needed more screen time and the ending left a bit to be desired (to me anyway), but the flaws were overshadowed by the tons of positives.

After being blown away by how great the anime is, I was amazed at how such an anime could be so forgotten. It deserves far more praise and attention than it gets, and it’s really sad to see that it’s been completely pushed to the side.

For a while I was obsessed with it (I still am!), and I began editing on the Wiki and then eventually made the server dedicated to the series.

I then went on to watch the 2002 anime, and actually enjoyed it despite the many criticisms targeted towards it. Even though it’s nowhere near as faithful to the visual novel as the 2006 version, as it adds its own random things to it, I still found it pretty good for what it was. The soundtrack was still great, and the animation never really bothered me that much. Despite the many jokes centered around its animation, I personally only thought Yuuichi looked off. Most of the other characters looked perfectly fine, although the anime was very bad at doing upward angles. The anime even looks adorable at times, actually.

It had enough differences from the VN and the 2006 anime to still be interesting and worth the watch. However, there is no denying that the 2006 version was better handled in almost every aspect. Because of its 13 episodes (14 if you count the OVA), it wasn’t given enough time to flesh out and develop the characters nearly as much. As such, I wouldn’t recommend Kanon 2002 as an introduction to the series to anyone, but I would recommend watching it if you enjoyed the 2006 anime. It’s like a completely new experience despite the both of then sharing the same basic story.

After I finished Kanon, I was actually temporarily motivated to watch other anime. Because of Kanon, I was able to find new anime that became some of my favorites, and I also found my inspiration in life (Shiori).

Kanon will always have a special place in my heart, no matter how many anime I might watch in the future. I still have yet to find an anime that I have enjoyed watching as much as Kanon, and I’m not sure if I’ll ever find one. It’s just so amazing and special. Truly a masterpiece that I will never ever forget.

5 Likes

So, am I right in thinking that Kanon 2006 has never had a Region 2 DVD release for the UK? I did some searching but all that is available (and hard to find/premium price) is a Region 1 import - and I don’t have a Multiregion player. I’d interested in it either new or pre-owned on Region 2, really not keen on streamed if it’s even available.

Another item from 2010 says Manga Entertainment have never acquired the rights for the UK.

There’s no official English region 2 release, and I’ve never heard of an unofficial one. When it comes to the UK, there are multiple available prints of Kanon '02, but none of '06. Modern day KyoAni has no reason or willingness to even market the property, so we’ll likely never get a release.

Thanks, well it’s not what I hoped to hear but at least I know there’s no point scouring DVD exchanges for a copy. It’s a shame as the comments here are so positive. But now I found it on Youtube with subtitles so if that’s the only way - here goes…

OK…so now I discover the significance of uguu :uguu:

EDIT - Well, 4 episodes in and I admit I’m totally hooked (it’s the Japanese voice version with subtitles). I’m finding this so much more enjoyable then LB! although that is comparing an anime with a VN so not exactly judging apples with apples. Very much slice of life with just a small hint of mystery so far, and I love the humour, unlike the start of LB! this is actually making me laugh out loud. I do get a few vibes of character traits we see also in Clannad…and there is Akiko’s Jam vs Sanae’s bread