Kanon - General Discussion

It’s the anime order but with Nayuki at the front.

Yeah that’s what I’d recommend, FOR REASONS UNRELATED TO THE ANIME HMPH, IT’S A COINCIDENCE.

1 Like

Wow what a tsundere :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, definitely can’t disagree with this order; the way Kanon is structured, it’s really just a choice of putting Ayu either before everybody else, or after everybody else. With the way the bookclub is organized, then putting Nayuki first is definitely a good idea, because IIRC Nayuki’s route is pretty damn short. And with that choice, that’d put Ayu last. As for the other three, well… I don’t think any order matters for them, heh

2 Likes

This order also means you get the crappy Maeda routes out of the way early, minus Nayuki, so you can have a glorious Hisaya Finale.

I heard back from Flutterz (the guy who wrote the guide @Aspirety found). Flutterz said they’ll probably change their guide’s recommend order to Nayuki, Shiori, Makoto, Mai, Ayu, so that each route provides a “bigger reveal” than the last. That makes sense to me.

As for the previous order, it was just what the original guide used. So there wasn’t much of a decision behind that.

The new order Flutterz gave is pretty decent, IMO.

1 Like

Hey what did old Ayu ever do to you

But yeah Ayu will be on the page once it’s her week’s turn :wink:

1 Like

The eyes man… THE EYES

Hinoue’s new rendition of Ayu is much more appealing. For the eyes and structure of the face at least. :kurumu:

But isn’t her week the last week ? ;-;

I see, so you only like Hinoue’s new moe, huh :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes…?

2 Likes

Aka the best part of Kanon!

3 Likes

It might actually be more on the placement of the nose and mouth and less on the size of the eyes. Hinoue eyes aren’t even yet the biggest eyes relative to the face that I’ve seen in anime/VN (still really big tho). But the nose and mouth is way too high.

Does anyone in this community own Kanon ~Aso BD~? I’d love to see the supposed HD assets.

1 Like

I do, and am planning on joining the bookclub soon enough

This isn’t to related to the game from a literary perspective, but the art grew on me. At first it looked kind of derpy and dumb but after getting used to it I love the cuteness of some of the sprites. Makoto’s pouty sprite and Nayuki’s disappointment face especially.

1 Like

Why is it that everyone comments on how cold it is in the town and yet the only one wearing anything remotely warm is Ayu

6 Likes

We mostly see people in school uniforms.

Nayuki’s casual wear looks to be pretty cozy
Makoto is dumb enough to not notice it’s cold anyway, so she gets a pass…
Shiori is a badass and doesn’t need anything but that shawl.

You get the idea. Another good point is that most of the characters in the story are going to be acclimated to the weather. While they might say it’s cold; they’re used to it so they don’t bother wearing 4 layers of clothes.

(I’m still not convinced Ayu’s derpily large jacket isn’t just to add shock value when the reader finds out that she’s not some dumpy little kid when she takes it off.)

4 Likes

Ratings comparison time! This time I took peoples feedback into consideration and made them into bar graphs. I also did two graphs: the first on an accurate scale, the second zoom in to highlight differences.

And… The differences are very minute. Seems like there’s only 3 scores showing up here, hahah. Either you’re not so good like Nayuki or Mai, you’re good like Makoto or Ayu, or you’re great like Shiori.

2 Likes

Okay guys. For the final week of the Kanon Bookclub, I want to hear everyone’s final thoughts on What Kanon means to you. You can share a paragraph or two here, but for those who are willing, I would like to hear a recording summarising what Kanon means to you in under 3 minutes. These will be collated and incorporated into the Kanon Bookclub Anthology which I’m hoping to release at the end of the week.

We’re also doing a final callout for fanworks, so if you’ve been itching to do some fanart to celebrate Kanon as a whole, now’s the time!

1 Like

I’m not a one or two paragraph person for these things, but here we go!

Kanon didn’t have a huge emotional impact on me, perhaps since I had already read CLANNAD and Little Busters! It doesn’t have an action packed story. It’s just a person’s everyday life. Yuuichi goes to school and then home. Not much happens. He rediscovers his memories from his past days in the snow covered town, changing his way of living a bit. All this happens in this snow covered town. It feels like a hidden location and this contributes to a nostalgic feeling. Not many people will discover this story, but if you happen to read Kanon, you’ll feel like one of those people passing by the protagonist at the commercial district. Everything is hidden in the town, but they invite you to come and stay there for a while, to stay and look at what both happens now and 7 years ago.

It’s this relaxed mood what Kanon inspires me. It leaves me with a feeling of having read for a long time, and even not much had happened, I learnt something from Yuuichi’s boring life. We ought to confront our problems, not avoid them and forget them. Only this way we’ll be able to carry on being happy. Only this way, we’ll be able to create happier memories to recall.

1 Like

Kanon is a story that resonates with me in many of the same ways AIR would do some time later. It’s a quiet story with seemingly little ambition, filled with quirky characters and a sense of mystery behind each one of them. It’s a story about a town, a promise that was made in that town, and the wish made to fulfill the happiness of two people. Kanon’s winter theme sets all this up in a different way than AIR would later do, but nonetheless I feel drawn more to winter than I do summer. After all, I was born in a snowstorm. :stuck_out_tongue:

Kanon holds both a sense of nostalgia and timelessness that I think helps people relate to it even today. Some part of me yearns for the day when Key returns to its roots, whether it be a remake of Kanon or a story in the same vein as it and AIR. Perhaps that day may never come, but even so, Kanon is still a visual novel I wholeheartedly recommend to every Key fan. It’s a cold and slow winter, but it’s no less enjoyable than its successors. May the power of Uguu protect you all. :slight_smile:

Here’s the audio version of my thoughts: http://puu.sh/pKhhh/db2387fda1.mp3

4 Likes