How do you invite your friends to the Key universe? (without spoiling it)

Umm, I think being honest is the best way to go here. Like you said, CLANNAD is slow, so if you don’t like it for what it really is, then you’re not gonna like it.
If you think describing what its about is gonna make someone not want to watch it, then don’t describe it. If you really recommend it and say its really good, then people who respect you and your opinion might look into it.
I know you and everyone you know seems to be exceptionally skeptical, Taka, but there are a ton of people out there who will do something simply because a friend recommends it.

4 Likes

The short answer for me is I don’t. Most of my friends don’t watch anime at all and for the few that do, they aren’t really interested in the genres I’m into. The only person I’ve ever really tried getting into anime is my sister. I’m not quite sure how but when I bought Air on dvd a few years ago we watched it together and she loved it. I bought Kanon shortly after and we watched that together as well and she loved it just as much as Air.

Now this is where I learned that you really shouldn’t try hard to get people to watch anything because I feel it will affect their judgement of the series. I’ve tried on and off for the past year or so to get her to watch Clannad with me but for whatever reason we never get past the first disc. Generally I just say something along the lines of “Hey I’m going to watch Clannad did you want to watch?” as like hey, I’m already set on doing this, you can join in if you want but you don’t have to. Also, watching things on a tv without headphones can intrigue people with the audio and vision.

As far as gateway Key works, honestly, I’d probably show Air to people who hadn’t watched any anime if only that it’s very ‘normal’ for an anime and is told concisely at 12 episodes. When I say ‘normal’ I mean avoiding a lot of differences between anime and western media that can really turn people off. It has absolutely zero creepy sexualisation of any characters, doesn’t over indulge in a lot of (what I find) cringe-worthy anime comedy, has a good dub and is just all around a really beautiful watch if nothing else. I think also that it is so different to people’s pre-conceived notions of what anime is in it’s lack of action and focus entirely on the characters that it can really help open people’s minds to other key works. I’m sure I’m biased but I know I’m right at least about the ‘normalness’ at least compared to some other adapted key works and especially compared to other anime.

And then of course there’s Angel Beats which is a little polar opposite to Air but is also another great gateway Key show at 12 episodes. It’s great for people who get hooked with action and amazing visuals and I imagine the emotional depth of the show is deceptive at first with its strong focus on action.

I’d have to agree with Clannad not being the greatest gateway series, 48 episodes across both seasons is a lot to get through for new people but if they are hooked by the first season then by all means go for it!

As for the VNs, not that I’ve played any (yet!) but I definitely feel that starting with anime is the way to get most people into them. That turned into a longer post than I would have liked but either way that’s my two cents :slight_smile:

1 Like

I agree with that. Say “oh you should watch blahblahblah. It’s your type of thing. Slow at first, but worth it.”
Don’t say “It’s life changing! It’s so deep and beautiful you will love it omg really!”

Be respectful, not overly enthusiastic. You’ll come off to forceful.

Oh my god this is my life. Trying to get people on Key stuff or Umineko is just like, a constant battle, like my friends actively try to resist it. I guess I’ve been too passionate and pushy…

4 Likes

Like me and planetarian.
I bought it for people and they still just #Nope.
It’s amazing, really. They just don’t care, really. It isn’t worth the hours of time the have and would rather spend doing nothing.

Pushing people into it is bound to lead to a negative experience, I think. It’s tough but I think the only way to do it is to intrigue them without looking like you’re trying to force them into it.

I really want to play this! Planetarian is the one piece of Key media I have almost zero knowledge of and I’m really looking foward to playing it.

1 Like

Exactly thats my point.
@Takafumi I wouldnt call my friends weird, and also I dont always say it the way I just described, I may use different phrases or words and it really works most of the times.
True clannad is slow
Yerian said it clearly, If I have a feeling they might like it I try to introduce them to it, if not I leave it be. You might not be pleased by the way I said it, and I agree Im being overly enthusiastic, but sometimes I think its good to show your own experience and feelings with it.

I don’t agree with this sentiment… How I view it is, as others have said, to perhaps downplay it or just mention it casually (like you said in the first post). If you tell them it’s one thing (like “action”) then they might resent it for having experienced it a different way. @Kanon mentioned something to that effect in the Hibiki no Mahou / Hibiki’s Magic General Discussion thread. (He went into the story expecting it to be something different than what it was. He had to adjust his expectation to enjoy it.) I have had similar experiences as well, though I don’t recall specifics.

Now, as for how I invite people to watch Key shows (or read the VNs) I haven’t done that recently. My first attempt was I gave a recommendation to a friend and mentioned “This was the first thing I’ve watched that actually made me cry,” to which he showed intrigue and asked about the show. However, I didn’t get the impression he would actively watch it (rather, I felt it would be a passively watched thing where specific moments would be missed and he just wouldn’t care in general, if he even watched it at all). So after that I mentioned “Actually, you probably shouldn’t watch it. I don’t think it’s the type of show you’d like.” The person in question isn’t a fan of anime, and Clannad isn’t a good gateway for someone into survival/documentary-type stuff like he is. I figure that if he ends up liking anime that maybe he’d find it on his own.

On the other hand, I shipped a set of games and DVDs to a friend who is a fan of anime. It contained some Key stuff (Air, Kanon), but also a few other things. This person is usually busy, so I have no idea when they’ll get to it. They did say they were interested though. (However I think that’s just a passive interest.)

As for whether I care, I think I care too much when it comes to these things. The stories themselves I’ve grown incredibly attached to. If I recommend that story, this thing that has (in a way) become a part of myself, to someone else and they don’t like it? Then, even though I consciously don’t care, subconsciously (as all humans do) there’s that crave for validation, and their negative reaction will make a stab at it. If someone I don’t know is dismissive of those stories, then I don’t care. If someone I personally know says something bad about them, then I also don’t care that much. But it would still bother me.

I was only ever able to invite one of my friends to the Key universe and I was really casual about it. I was like “Oh this series is funny and dramatic and has a game. It’s pretty emotional and will probably make you cry” and they eventually ended up playing the game without me pushing them to do it.

I guess it’s just one of those things that you just have to be pretty open about it and, eventually, the people who are genuinely interested in those sort of things will try it out. It’s kind of like recreational fishing in that regard, where only those interested in the bait will bite… Except with this, they will (most of the time) be aware what will happen to them when they bite

2 Likes

That’s what is happening to me in regards to the Fate franchise. Only with a bigger, longer hype than CG :confused: and I’ve been unable to recover from such hype, even today

Love Live!, on the other hand…

You gotta love Nico

I know that feel. And worse; most online acquaintances who like Key are either Spanish (as, from Spain), Kazamatsuri.org forum members or both. Everyone else seems to either not care at all, watched and dropped it, or outright hated them

A casual mention is a good way to invite them into Key anime/VNs

So… After reading all the posts, I guess that’s what the majority thinks. It seems we all agree that an “agressive” :slight_smile: method doesn’t wouldn’t work at all, but the mention of the VN/Anime instead will resonate in our victim, I mean friend, when the time is right.

I wouldn’t like to sound too psychological, but I strongly believe that the subconscious part of our mind plays an important role there. The mention will trigger a response in them, subtle, hidden, almost a subliminal invitation (specially when we feel its the proper moment).

Good luck folks!

1 Like

Been meaning to reply this thread and honestly in my opinion, the best way to invite your friends to the Key Universe without spoiling it is to let them discover it themselves. Maybe mention about one of the anime series and what they’re about every now and then when they ask what have you been doing for fun, and if they are interested, say “I recommend checking it out”.

On the other hand if they’re not interested then it’s best not to force the series on them and let them discover it themselves. Cause if you force any of the series on them, there’s a good chance they might not like it and it might cloud their judgement towards the other Key works. And as @Yerian said, Key is not really for everybody. There are some who can’t stand their works and they have their own reasons so you can’t necessarily stop them from feeling how they feel. The only thing you can do is let them discover the works themselves and if they don’t want to or they don’t like them, that’s fine. Can’t win them all.

With that being said, one of my short term goals is to let my Mom see Clannad and Clannad After Story one day. ^^

2 Likes

Angel Beats was pretty huge among anime fans over here, so half of my friends watched that of their own accord and fell in love with it. From there it was pretty easy to suggest the other Key anime given they were from the same creator.

On the other hand, I’ve managed to convert someone who was a fan of Type Moon VNs onto Key ones just by suggestion and stressing the good emotional journey it takes you on.

1 Like

Well some of you already know it, but I made my mom watch clannad, and shes in the middle of S2 now.

I just said: “yo mom I want you to watch a really, nice, family friendly anime that you would love for sure, youre gonna laugh a lot and maybe even cry, I really believe youll watch it cuz youre the kind of person that would like it, and also its also something that will be forever in my heart, thats how much it affected me. Wanna give it a go?”
Thats how I basically “invited” her to Clannad, and Im planning to do that to more of Key’s works, like angel beats.
A lot of people said that I should make her read the VN but she doesnt have that much time, but I guess this way I didnt really give anything away and still got her excited :p.

3 Likes

Invite them to my room :expressionless:
No really my friends always ask about things in my collection (mostly Key) that they don’t recognize.
Two of my friends are watching Clannad right now ( I guess clannad and angel beats are the safest to start with)

1 Like

Considering your room, yeah, I guess that’s as good a way as any

1 Like

By throwing in their face a bucket full of water when they least expect it then say: “That’s how your face will look like after Clannad”

Best method ever ! It really works, 100% guaranteed ! :sunglasses:

… Recently, I noticed that my number of friends was decreasing… I still wonder why :confused:

4 Likes

I believe to use the anime to introduce Key is easy. Angel Beats or Clannad are enough good to hook someone.
The worse is when I wanted to introduce with the visual novel. Fortunately, I warned my friends about the marketing and the reality for many of game. He still was surprised and a little terrified by the CG after looking on internet but my reputation was not too destroyed.

1 Like
  • That’s one of the weakest links in the chain. Yes, we’re faced with that, specially in the early novels.

• Having said that, it is also one of the strongest links, because many people who doesn’t like those CG are captivated (nevertheless) and feel empathy because of the awesome stories. Interesting, isn’t it?

The very first steps (introducing the game to a friend) are on a difficult slope road, but then… if they have enough patience, everything changes.

1 Like

It’s a lot easier to get people into anime than VNs, so I would start there.

If they’re not even into either medium, then I would recommend “breaking the ice” of the anime medium with shows that are…well, distinctly not Key adaptations, and then maybe recommending a Key anime if they continue to be into it.

Angel Beats is pretty entry-level and has lots of elements to it that make it more easily digestible for newer people (lots of focus on action and slapstick comedy compared to, say, Clannad or Little Busters!), so if they’re completely new to anime then I would start there. Obviously Clannad is the most well received of any Key-related anime, so if that doesn’t do it for them afterwards then nothing else probably will.

Either way, you don’t really wanna bug people too much about watching things. I’ve gotten several people to watch the Clannad anime, but that’s because they’re fellow anime fans that already respect my opinion in regards to anime.

5 Likes