How did you first discover Key?

Probably an unpopular opinion, but I think the Rewrite anime is a good “extra dish” for the VN. Once you read the VN you’re inevitably left with a void (you all know what I’m talking about), and seeing our beloved characters do new things is pretty fun.

And you get to see Luis’s face on the second season too, which is probably reason enough to watch it.

But if you haven’t read the VN… then don’t spoil yourself. It’s horrible.

3 Likes

Yeah that’s true. For me, I watched the anime first because I didn’t know there was a vn and it ended up spoiling the vn a little bit.

my friend recomended i watch kanon, but i did’nt know there was 2 versions, so i ended up watching the 2002 adaptation, aside from the animation it wasn’t that bad so i guess that was the first key anime i watched. after that i watched Angel beats and enjoyed every second of it and one day while i was looking for the creator of the anime i discovered key, and from there on i watched and played every single key work (except for tomoyo after). my favorite writer is jun maeda for his work in little busters and angel beats! and altough kanon 2002 wasn’t that good, it’s very close to my heart

probably cuz of the retated facial animations XD

2 Likes

My first Key work experience was with Clannad anime. At that point, I did not know what Key was. Then, only after Rewrite, I found out about Key.

Rewrite : I discovered it while watching Animenz piano covers. I stumbled across the Philosophyz piano cover and realised that it sounds so good. Therefore, I checked the series info and thought it was interesting.

Clannad : I was looking for emotional anime and found tonnes of people suggesting it to me.

Angel Beats : I was looking for anime similar to Clannad and found it on another forum. At this point, I did not know the company Key.

Charlotte : Similar to above, I found it while looking for anime similar to Steins; Gate. I wasn’t sure how it is similar except for time leaping but i enjoyed it nonetheless.

Little Busters : @Aspirety san should know very well.

2 Likes

My first discover about Key was when I finished watch Clannad anime. I didn’t know back then that Clannad was made by Key. Also come to my forst play VN it was AIR same I didn’t know nothing about Key. Just thinking that both works are great (i.e. made me crying) :ohoho:

Began searching through Clannad then AIR. Found about “Visual Art’s Key”, trying watch other works made by Key (Angel Beats). Then began watch Little Busters! that Haruka arc, honestly made me crying, also Kurugaya is the best :amorous:

And then I started download Key’s VN. Bu the first I game that I downloaded as a newbie for Key is Rewrite. Then collected it all, until I have complete series. In my bored time I play Key’s games. Due to the heavy element in the VN that I playing now (Subahibi) I play Key’s games. The music, the story make my heart and head feel light. Also because of Key, now I know that Visual Art’s isn’t only included Key only but also Saga Planets, toneworks (Their pure romance is good :badass:)

Back into Key’s works my most favourite character development was in Clannad meanwhile Rewrite is good for the advanture element. AIR is good for its story about girl in the sky and reincarnation. Kanon is good for Makoto👍 and LB is good for its friendship (I want have a friendship like that)

Sorry for my broken english.

4 Likes

My first Key anime was Kanon, as I was introduced to it by an old Youtube video centering around the end of Mai’s arc.

For the rest of Key’s works, my way of discovering them varied.

Air - I was browsing around Youtube for anime openings and stumbled across Air’s several years ago. To this day, it’s still one of my favorites.

Clannad/Clannad After Story - I used to be obsessed with AMV’s (still am, but to a lesser extent), and I was introduced to Clannad while looking for sad AMV’s.

Angel Beats - I don’t know if I got introduced to the series before this, but my earliest memory of it is seeing it in a top 10 saddest anime video.

Little Busters - This is probably the most unique way that I got introduced to a Key series. Several years back, there used to be a certain rhythm game on the Google Play store. It’s since been removed, but I used to play it constantly. The songs it had were so random though. It had a Linkin Park song, a weird German song that I somehow like and still listen to to this day, and a few Hatsune Miku works as well. And of course, it had the Little Busters opening theme. Like Air’s, the Little Busters’ opening is still one of my favorites.

Rewrite - I think I got introduced to Rewrite while looking for romance anime on MyAnimeList, but dismissed it due to its low score (I don’t think I made a bad decision there).

For Planetarian and Harmonia, I wasn’t aware of their existence until I specifically looked up a list of Key’s works.

4 Likes

Good choice. I am regretting that I watched it now and even more embarassed I actually enjoyed it that time.

Some time ago a friend recommended me a sad anime named Clannad, he didn’t watch Clannad but he found information about it.
One year ago i decided to watch Clannad, the story was heart touching, i really enjoyed it, i search information about Clannad and i discovered that it is also a visual novel and it belongs to a company that make dramatic visual novels, KEY. I remembered that i have seen Clannad on Steam and other visual novel, Planetarian, i started playing Clannad and watching more KEY’s animes, Air, Kanon 2006, Angel Beats ( i dropped it a time ago but i decided to finish it and i loved it), Charlotte (I did not find it very dramatic but i was fun) then i watched Little Busters! ( the synopsis confused me, a sport anime… of KEY that’s strange) now LB! is with Clannad one of my favorites animes and i kept watching KEY animes,Rewrite and Planetarian, i’m currently playing Little Busters! and Clannad visual novels, i plan to play the others KEY’s visual novels and i waiting to new KEY’s works.
PD: Searching images on my mobile gallery i found Clannad images downloaded in 2015, small but beautiful coincidence.

1 Like

Was about 7-8 years ago, at that time I had started to write seriously because that’s what I want to dedicate, one day buy a manga called ‘Magic Hibiki’s’, buy the two volumes there were, when I read them I felt things I never had Sense reading a work, it really seemed to me a work of art, I wanted to know who had written that marvel and on the cover of the manga I put: Jun Maeda, I began to investigate about the works of Maeda and then I found Angel beats that had just released, That was my first anime of Key, little by little I was investigating about the works of Key trying to read all the possible novels that i could and to see the adaptations that had done on them, at the moment I have only been able to read 3 novels of Key because I try of Buy them if I can, although in the future I hope to have been able to read them all, the dramatic genre has always been my favorite, both to see / read other people’s works and to write my own, that is perhaps why works Of Key quickly called my attention, currently I would love to finish the story of hibiki’s magic if they release the rest of volumes in my country, and if one day I get to know him, I would like to thank Jun Maeda for his wonderful creations and for being My model to follow during my beginnings in writing, I would also like to thank leo kashida the scriptwriter who wrote the route of nishizono mio in little busters, that route is my favorite of any novel by Key and Nishizono is my favorite character

5 Likes

I first heard the song Tori no Uta one warm afternoon in 2008. Something in me just clicked when I listened, like the pieces of my heart fell into place. I watched the anime adaptation of Air and loved it, but never bothered to look into anything by Key after that. Four years later I got into visual novels and read Kanon (it just so happened to be in December, too) and was hooked onto everything that was Key.

5 Likes

I stumbled across Toei version of Kanon back in high school. I watched it but left a sour taste in mouth and my friend suggested to me to watch Air. I loved it and the company. Key visual

8 Likes

I found key when I was new to anime, I haven’t seen a lot of anime at the time but my friends recommended me some. I watched a Top Ten Anime Opening video and found Angel Beats OP in the video. I really liked Angel Beats OP and looked for more anime openings sung by Lia. Then I found Clannad Afterstory Op. I also really enjoyed the Opening but I didn’t know key was a thing. One day I asked my friend if I should watch Clannad or Angel Beats. She said She hasn’t seen Either so I watched Reviews for both of the shows by Glass Reflection. He loved Clannad but he didn’t like Angel Beats so I decided to watch Clannad. Clannad eventually got boring to me so I dropped it. Then I decided to give Angel Beats a try, The first episode made me want to watch more of the show and I finished it in one night. Fast forward in time I was looking for shows similar to Angel Beats and then Clannad came up again. I decided to give Clannad a second chance, I’m glad I did. The Fuko Arch bored me but I enjoyed the rest of Clannad. Then I watched Clannad Afterstory and fell in love with it. One day I was binge watching episodes of Clannad and Angel Beats and noticed that both had the word Key in the opening credits and it made me curious I then googled Key Anime and Found Key a visual novel company and they where behind Clannad and Angel Beats and then I found more. I loved Key as Clannad and Angel Beats are some of my most favorite anime so I gave the other shows a try. I watched Kanon 2006 and I enjoyed it too. Then Air ,Little Busters and Charlotte thats how I found out about Key

2 Likes

I was tired of reading manga and watching anime, I wanted to read a full story from start to finish. I remembered that Visual Novels exist. So I looked for some that had translated in my language (brazilian portuguese), and found the Rewrite. I had not watched the anime, actually had never heard of it, it was a great experience, every moment was a surprise. I ended up replaying it four more times in one year, I made sure to understand that world alone without looking for answers, just came to register in this forum today. I looked for more games from the same company. And fortunately I did not know any of the works. After him I played Clannad, Kanon and at the moment I’m finishing Little Busters. I think I’m going to go to AIR next time.

3 Likes

Wow what, Rewrite is translated in portuguese!!! Amazing…

2 Likes