How did you first discover Key?

Doesn’t Angel Beats break this pattern too?

Hey, @Takafumi, seems like you’ve found a partner in crime. (lol)

Hey, I was his partner first! Also, going off of the anime alone there’s a higher chance of having a negative reaction, I’d say. It’s not like it’s a secret that it’s a rather meh adaptation, so he’s not alone in that regard.

Great! Now you guys can create a gang!

Angel beats does, but I didn’t really get annoyed by it, since most of the guys didn’t have big roles, and Hinata was like the big brother to Yuzuru in a way.

Especially Rin’s route in the anime -.- She only had a 3 minute scene in the anime to explain her backstory ! And she’s the main heroine -_- But I do praise J.C. Staff for what music they put for which scenes. Though they seemed to interested in “Song for friends” since that played throughout half of refrain, just saying. Though there are some beautiful songs on the soundtrack that I don’t think they put in the anime, such as “Approaching light” which was beautiful. I don’t know if J.C. Staff did some Anime-original songs too, since there was a beautiful song playing in LB - EX episode 8 that I can’t find on the soundtrack (Btw, would appreciate it if you can tell me the title. It’s a piano song that plays when Haruka is talking to this one girl about Kanata’s you know what. )

Nope. That’s totally different. Especially on the ratio thing - The guys carried Litbus HARD. The start of Litbus was great. There’s some action music, a big scary guy, a fight… it’s like “wait… this is Key?”
Then cats happen. There’s fighting and baseball and probably the best comedy seen in Key VNs.

I have no problem with the common route. The problem I have with Litbus is that the individual character routes were all weaker than the VNs that preceded them. Kanon and Clannad were good because they had a good cast, and they did justice to those characters in the routes. They weren’t always the most powerful stories, but they were worth investing in.
Then you go from that to… Oh, Rin1. Sudden ending. Oh, Kud route. It’s trying to be tragic? When does sad stuff happen? Oh, Komari route. Didn’t they do this before?

It was different to what Key did for years, and to me, it was an unwelcome change. Litbus is still a great VN, it’s definitely up there on my ratings, but only because of the common route and refrain.

… The first season of the anime was really boring though. Probably because it was just the heroine routes… I do think they did Kud’s route a better service than the VN ever did, which going into the VN was the route I was interested the most, so it was nice to see it being not terrible.

Most of the characters overall didn’t have big roles. You have like… Otonashi, Yuri, and Kanade. The rest are quick plot devices or comedy punching bags.

Well… Rin doesn’t really have a backstory. She’s a shy girl. She grew up. It’s basically the same as Riki’s but without anything eventful.

In the first season they cut tracks awkwardly, and apparently forgot that half of the soundtrack existed.

2 Likes

Nothing too fancy, about 5 years ago I went on yahoo answers and asked for a sad anime to watch and someone recommended Kanon, ever since I’ve been a die hard fan.

1 Like

So nostalgic , (2012), when I was bored and searched for anime.
I saw Clannad and thought “Let me give it a try”. that day I knew My fate was to love Key, !

2 Likes

2001: depressed, a fish out of water, lost in a spiral

Enter a friend(now wife) bringing Kanon.

2001 After: renewed, committed to the job, optimistic

I spent thousands of bucks on VNs ever since and I don’t regret it.

It’s 2015: I’m an old geezer now, taking two little Ushios to school, but Key’s charm never fades. (Though I never did find that old copy of Kanon after we moved)

15 Likes

Oh wow, that’s a really touching story :’) That was the visual novel you started with? Such a long time ago, wow o_o

I started watching bishoujo anime in 2010, that was when Angel beats! first aired. It was the first anime that I actually cried to, so it left quite a deep impression on me. Then I went on to watch Clannad, according to some “if you like ____, you might like _____” type of anime recommendation. It was through Clannad that I truly fell in love with Key and it was also through Key that I started reading visual novels. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t have a very touching or exciting story like most people here.

I had little interest in anime, let alone VNs, for a long time, but since I like emotional stories a lot my friend convinced me to try watching CLANNAD. Immediately fell in love with the story. The characters, the depth, the attachment, the quality writing, emotional tear jerking moments… It was the beginning of a long road. Played the Clannad game after that, then Kanon, LB, Rewrite, etc… and here I am today, a total anime and VN nerd. No regrets.

Key has never let me down with their quality games and doubt they ever will.

1 Like

When I started watching Clannad back in 2012 to prepare for the Little Busters! anime adaption.

But the true beginnings lie several years ago, in an age I didn’t even know what anime was; when I was browsing music on youtube, I saw that a famous Belgian DJ, Svenson did a remix of a song called “Haruka Kanata”; I decided to check it out; I really liked the song as the Japanese vocals where exotic for me back then. I saw something called “Little Busters” in the recommended videos (sometimes it feels as if god was trying to send me a message); but unfortunately I never check it.
Few years later, early 2012 at a party a random person recommended me an anime called “Death Note” and since I lost interest in gaming I decided to give it a chance; and this got me into anime. Later in 2012 I saw on MAL news a work called “Little Busters!” would get an anime adaption; this immediately ringed a bell as I have seen the name on youtube before. Because of this I got hyped for the anime; and since I saw Clannad is from the same creator and it was in my PTW list (back then I never knew why I did add it to my PTW because I thought I wouldn’t like it) and of course I loved even the first season. So when the first episode of LB started airing I was already really hyped; I even watched the 1st episode raw. Of course I also loved the LB anime!
Since at that time my favorite anime where Steins;Gate and Higurashi, the step to visual novels was a very logical one for me. I started the LB VN while the anime still was ongoing and finished it before the 1st season ended; after which I started reading Rewrite. Currently I have spend over 1000 euros on Key VNs, anime and merchandise.

1 Like

it was kanon the 2006 remake anime then was air then i found out about VN etc

2 Likes

@Kamioangelo64 Have you checked out kanon 2002 yet?

yes i saw it long time ago i wish they bring it in eng but it seems that not going happed

Same here, I personally liked it more Than most people, of course the kyoani one is infinitely better but I still truly enjoyed 2002, I had to import the box set but it was only like 20 bucks

Wow I thought I posted here already guess not lol. The best way for me to describe it would be to start before I knew anything about key. Ofc it started with discovering I enjoyed these things called anime, but you see when one discovers anime they don’t just discover anime, alot of things came with it. You find new communities games, ideas ect. This might sound like a troll answer but I feel like when I become a fan of something, I’ve always been a fan I just didn’t know it… yeah its sounds odd but I feel it is true. Like take the now airing Charlotte for example, right now can I call myself a fan of it? I am not really sure how much I will like it in the end, but I still feel like I am a fan of it? Lets put it this way, for me fandom doesn’t really has a start or a end, you just don’t know about it or forgot about it or are avoiding it for some reason. All these little things click together and bam one day you are standing there trying to understand why you became a fan…

Okay now all the abstract things are out of the way let me start, One day many years ago when I was getting into anime, I saw this guy watching higurashi, (um this could be the start of my key fandom? lol?) so I was like wtf is that you are watching? I saw some clip and was like welp I am never gonna watch that! Then one day for some unknown reason I watch it… yeah even though I said I wouldn’t I did… and I liked it… and I felt like I had become more open minded, I don’t remember when I came to be open minded about keys work but it happened at some point in time, pretty early in my anime days and it just opened my mind to more and more things can’t remeber exactly when I watched kanon 2006 but it could of been the reason.

Start here for the short easy to understand answer.

The true start of key fandom was watching kanon 2006 for sure, but why did I watch this show? It felt like when I started watching anime I had become more open minded towards genres and such I never watched before. Now the easy to understand version of this is that from watching kanon 2006 I watched clannad, found out about little busters ect ect. became the key fan I am today, but if you want the long version… I really feel like my higurashi/uminko fandom has been connected together with my key fandom… I mean around the same time I was getting into anime… I opened up to both kanon and higurashi… the same day I decided to try umineko was the same day I decided to try little busters… there is way more beyond that, things like translations finishing the same day, and me radnomly going to AX very recently cause of ryukishi and hinoue, and the kicker is at the con ryukishi said he would of probably not of written anything if it wasn’t for key, so yeah hard for my mind to not think about all of that not being connected…

So… what really happened? well I am not sure really… some where along the way I really just started to like key, it wasn’t really during one show I watched or anything, I just woke up one day liking it… forgot about it another day, then the next thing came along made me remember… then one day I just said I don’t wanna forgot again… I feel like everyday my key fandom goes up and down for various reason that are beyond me, maybe I have a thought going through my head that makes me like it more no idea lol. It felt like I was always a fan I just didn’t know, hadn’t tapped into it yet… you have to put down one game to play another if you know what I mean.

1 Like

20 were? XD

Used (but in like new condition) on yahoo auctions Japan, I then used taigaya proxy to import it
We should probably switch this conversation to private messaging to avoid getting off topic on this post haha

1 Like