Harmonia General Discussion

Although I majorly enjoyed the experience, I found Chapter 6 to be pretty, well, bad. Like it took a HEAVY dip, and the pacing for the whole ending seemed to be all out of wack to me. I think where Harmonia really shined was chapter 2 to 5, which was some of the most well directed reading I’ve seen in Key. Easily among the top. I think after some rereading and talking I’ll be able to easily keep this VN at 4/5, but there are certainly still some points as of now that seem to be pretty bad oversights in the writing- Especially around Chapter 6.

ALSO HEY, BOLD SOME STUFF FOR THE PODCAST!

The bell keeps the menu up or lets it fade away/be activated by mouse over.

1 Like

Me too. It did not help Rei being locked in the house was giving off serious Misery (novel by Stephen King) vibes. That scene in the library gave me the chills. shiver

It’s a good VN. Didn’t really get me to produce tears though… but still a decent read. I think part of the issue was that I didn’t really connect to the characters that well. I didn’t care much for Tipi, and I guess I liked Shiona. I did get a little choked with Tipi’s “demise”, but Shiona’s didn’t quite manage to get me there. But it’s a bit unfair to judge a Key work by whether it manages to make me cry or not… even if it’s Key. :stuck_out_tongue:

The music was great. I love Towa no Hoshi e (I’ve been loving it ever since I started listening to it like a hundred years ago when the Harmonia single came out…) The graphics are pretty good too. I didn’t get bored at any point of it. It was definitely a good read. (I definitely prefer Planetarian though, comparing the two.)

2 Likes

Well, I finally finished it. I’m satisfied with it.
The structure of the plot was carefully thought, characters are unique, arts are beautiful, and the music Todoketai melody/Towa no hosi he had good work.
At first, I thought the world is so weird and guessed the taste of this work is like nursery-tale and not so sophiscated but finally I realized the setting was based on careful thought.
I often remembered planetarian while playing it. After all, it might be because they are stories among people and robots, but the repair of something,the world which is destroyed by the foolishness of human beings,death of the heroine for protecting the protagonist and hope left on something (memory card in planetarian or music box in Harmonia) remind me quite a lot about planetarian. I suspect that the writer is aiming at comparison to planetarian.
For the theme,it is notable that finally Shiona,Rei and Tipi made a pseudo-family (kazoku).

I think this is probably not the best work Key have ever made, but it has what we desire for Key work and is worth playing.

By the way, on twitter, I looked some opinions that translation is awkward, what did you think about that? Is that natural comparing with other translation including ordinary novel translated from other language? I know there are always complains about translation but I just want to know whether Key did good work on it or not.

1 Like

I don’t know about translation from Japanese, but the English script seemed really good to me. There was one line that was definitely odd and a couple of missing spaces, but overall I thought the quality was pretty high.

1 Like

finally…
I make steam acc just for this hohoho
going to draw a lot after finishing this

3 Likes

Yeah, I don’t think I’ve ever gone back and forth on a character as much as I did with Shiona, Key or otherwise. My initial reactions to her were the Komari comparisons I made before, followed by minor suspicion that she might be some sort of villain the more she tried to keep Rei away from Tipi, followed by a combination of disgust at her blatant verbal abuse and fascination with her hidden depths, followed by sympathy for her situation and an appreciation with how interesting her character was. I’m normally all for yandere characters, but when I thought she was going to go down that path I was almost disappointed in her, somehow? Well, that’s probably the intended reaction anyways.

But on a slightly different topic, I think my favorite thing about the story after thinking about it for a bit is the way it reverses the typical roles in a “humans and robots living together” type setting, as well as how plausible it all seems. With how far the world is advancing in virtual reality and other technologies, is it really so farfetched to think that we may someday have a real life equivalent of Phiroids? And we already have a tendency to entrust important bits of our everyday lives to technological advances, whether it’s the ability to have any information you could need in your pocket or the means to communicate with others face to face, so how much of a leap is it to think that someday we’ll entrust them with our emotions as well? Could there someday be a world where machines are more human-like than humans themselves?

10 Likes

I decided to take a different approach with Harmonia. I’m going to take a look at each chapter as I go through the story, making observations as I read. I’m not taking notes, so most of this is going to be straight from my drowsy, somewhat unreliable memory. Anyway, let’s start at Chapters 0 and 1.

(Disclaimer: I was planning to post these separately as I read each chapter, but then I read the first post and saw that full spoilers were fair game. What you see here is my constantly updated impressions as I read through the story, chapter for chapter.)

It’s fairly easy in the beginning to make comparisons to Planetarian, and I get that impression even after reading these two chapters. The setting is strikingly similar in some respects: (slight Planetarian spoilers) a post-apocalyptic future where humans and human-like robots coexisted for a time, until humanity seemingly started destroying themselves, leaving the human population isolated to small colonies instead of bustling cities. While the more technical aspects of why this setting exists is made clear pretty early in Planetarian, here we get very little idea of what happened, only that it happened. The focus of the setting seems to have shifted away from the setting defining the characters to the characters defining the setting.

Speaking of the characters, Rei himself is so far a compelling and relatable protagonist, something Planetarian’s Junker lacks in some respects. His desire to be human and to serve humans is particularly strong, even if it seems he doesn’t understand much about his current situation. He finds allegorical companions in Shiona, who represents happiness; Madd, who represents anger; and Tipi, who represents sadness. Presumably, these three characters will act as the basis for Rei to understand emotion, and may be key to helping him understand who he once was.

The artwork so far is incredible, some of the best I’ve seen come out of Hinoue. There’s a very subtle pencil gradient effect that gives each character sprite, particularly Shiona’s, a layer of rough, earthen tones. This is justified in the story by the dusty wind that’s always blowing outside, which I think is a clever touch. The CGs are also quite beautiful as well, seeping with enough detail to make my eyes bleed. The music is good too, although like most Key music, it’s likely going to take a while to get into my head.

I’m impressed with the story so far. I plan to read a little more tomorrow, in the hopes that I will be finished before the week is over. :slight_smile:

Chapter 2 is called Connection, and in the context of this story it could mean three different things. One could be the connection to the townspeople that Rei made for himself, another could be the connective relationship between everyone in the town since practically everyone seems to know each other, and lastly, the connection between the town and the outside world. It all feels a little like CLANNAD in this case, but I doubt this town has any lights to collect. :stuck_out_tongue:

What I like about this chapter is that it goes into a little more detail on the characters’ backstories. Shiona’s relationship with her brother, Madd’s relationship with his son, and Tipi’s relationship with her parents are all touched upon here, but there’s also a pervading consistence in each character’s need for Rei to exist in their lives. With the repair of Shiona’s music box, not only does Rei find himself in a satisfactory relationship with her, but he finds new meaning to his life in seeking the happiness of others. This extends to both Tipi and Madd, with the former establishing a sibling complex with Rei through his constant need for information from the library, and the latter needing a projector to see his son’s movie. I assume the next chapter is going to touch more on that.

In this chapter, I’m beginning to notice some technical problems. There are some typos, although that’s to be expected from a first release. However, there’s also a missing voice clip. Heaven forbid the great Shiori disaster of 1999 happens again… ._.

It was around Chapter 3 when I began to notice how similar some of these events feel to other Key games. Granted, I think every Key game starting with Little Busters began playing the nostalgia card to appeal to its existing fanbase, so it’s not out of the ordinary. Although the main plotline was about getting Madd to watch his son’s movie, there were quite a few nods to games like CLANNAD, Tomoyo After, Planetarian, and AIR. It makes me wonder if this is the reason Kai was brought in to help the new writer. Having worked on several Key games before Harmonia, he must have known that the nostalgia card would help the game sell if nothing else. Makes me wonder what the story would have been like if it was only Tsuzuru Nakamura writing… :confused:

Anyway, it’s also around this time when Rei becomes aware of the romantic feelings Shiona and potentially Tipi have for him. Whether he takes advantage of this or not, we will have to see, but it makes me wish there were choices so I could take the loli route~ :stuck_out_tongue:

Chapter 4 is probably my favorite chapter so far. It feels like the start of the exploration of Tipi’s character, whom I adore for more reasons than one. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Anyway, it also establishes Shiona’s romantic feelings for Rei, which quickly becomes a point of conflict as she becomes jealous of Tipi for getting so much of Rei’s attention.

In my humble opinion, I think the reasoning behind Shiona’s feelings for Rei feels a bit shallow, making the whole relationship thing seem a little forced. One could assume that she likes him because he looks much like her brother, but wouldn’t that imply she’s absolutely okay with incest? She runs a church, for crying out loud! Then again, the last scene at the library feels a little out of character for her… :confused:

There were two things that struck me about this chapter. First, Tipi’s reaction to the sight of the dead man at the funeral. It wasn’t much like how she usually acted. I assume that it has a lot to do with how sheltered she is, giving an emotionally-detached but respectful farewell. Perhaps she had hoped it was someone she knew, but maybe her reaction showed that she was mistaken. It’s very possible that she doesn’t hold much empathy for people other than her parents and Rei, which is perfectly understandable.

Second, Rei’s decision at the end of the chapter. This was probably the most powerful moment I’ve read in this story so far, showing that Rei has priorities beyond just making Shiona happy. His motivation to make everyone happy, not just Shiona, was his driving force from the very beginning, and if he had strayed away from that it wouldn’t have been as fulfilling as simply doing what Shiona wanted him to do. It makes him a stronger character in my opinion.

At Chapter 5…well, this is difficult to talk about. We finally see how Tipi became the sad, lonely little girl we know and love, and it’s fairly simple: Her parents loved her and read her old books, but they left her to make others happy. They had no idea if they were going to come back, but they told her to keep a picture diary of what would transpire in their absence. It’s never explicitly stated how long she’s been drawing, nor the exact number of drawings she’s made, but she’s made one a day for hundreds, maybe thousands of days. Now that’s commitment! :smiley:

Anyway, as Rei helps Tipi in the library, Shiona, in a strangely out-of-character motion, ruins the fun by proclaiming Tipi’s parents dead. I mean, what the heck?! I hardly have words to explain how angry I am at this development. Did she just not have as strong a conviction to help others as Rei does? Did she let her feelings get in the way of her goal? Was her goal ever to make others happy, or was it just to make Rei happy? Whatever the case, she didn’t have to be such a killjoy. I feel like punching her in the face, although I think it was a smarter move not to attack her after that. If Rei actually punched her, it might have exposed his identity as a Phiroid.

Actually, come to think of it, why hide the fact that he’s a Phiroid? Did they suddenly become rogue and turn on humanity in order to create a peaceful civilization for themselves? Is there a bad social stigma in being a Phiroid? Why are Phiroids seemingly nonexistent in this otherwise human village? Do Phiroids even have junk? There’s so much that needs to be answered… :confused:

The last three chapters are hard to talk about, because this is where the hard sci-fi elements rear their ugly heads, and it always ends horribly for the main characters. I had to condense my feelings for these chapters into a few paragraphs, so I’ll get straight to the point.

It turns out that, in a surprising twist, the entire town Shiona and the others lived in were Phiroids, and Rei was a human with a prosthetic replacing his right arm. The reason why he started out emotionless was because the humans of that time had forgotten emotion, since the existence of Phiroids had removed any need to feel strong emotion. This brings up some interesting commentary on how technology is slowly replacing our need to work, think, and communicate openly with one another. It reminds me a lot of some of Ray Bradbury’s works, among other hard sci-fi stories that I read in school. It may seem formulaic and cliché for these kinds of visual novels to pursue stories like this, but I feel the message here is unique among other sci-fi visual novels. It’s not so much about humanity destroying themselves or replacing humanity with robots, it’s about humans losing what it means to be human. What we see here is humans becoming the robots they created, destroying the very thing keeping their humanity alive. If people like Rei didn’t come to realize this, humanity would have indeed become a shell of its former self.

I’m much happier with the ending of this story than with Planetarian’s ending, at the very least. It feels conclusive, and it doesn’t reek of poorly-utilized Key Magic. Although, if Harmonia had ended simply at Rei leaving to convert others to the idea of emotion and accepting Phiroids, I feel my thoughts on this visual novel wouldn’t have changed much. Either way, I yearn for more of these characters. Give us a fandisc, Key! ;;

Some points I would like the podcasters to bring up:

What do you think of the message behind Harmonia? Did you feel it could have worked in a genre other than hard sci-fi or a setting other than a post-apocalyptic future?

Do you think the strong emotional labels each of the major characters other than Rei held made them compelling and essential to Rei’s development? Is there any way you think could have been improved in this approach to storytelling?

Who do you think the scientist that woke up Shiona in the ending was? Has humanity truly learned something in recreating the utopia where humans and Phiroids coexist?

I look forward to the podcast~ ^^

8 Likes

Man, I took a lot of notes during this one, so I’ll try to cut things down to keep it short(er) and organized(ish).

Technical stuff:

• Props to Active Gaming Media Inc; the translation is impressive. Whoever did it is a much better writer than I am, because I couldn’t have phrased things nearly that well. There were some really nice turns of phrase in there, and I found it really easy to stay engaged.
  • I really liked the sketchbook styling that was given to the sprites; reminded me of Valkyria Chronicles.
  • I actually ran into a couple of bugs where the game crashed when I switched it to fullscreen and where, when I selected a particular font, the text was all invisible, but those are more minor nuisances.
  • I was really hoping for some story meaning behind the positioning/size of the text box, but it looks like it was just “fullscreen for CGs”.
  • Unlike most of the people who mentioned it above, I really enjoyed the zooming in on the backgrounds and sprites. I’ve been playing a lot of Clannad lately, and I felt that Harmonia did a much better job using that to show characters’ locations and distance from each other.
  • There was a brief flash of animation when Shiona blocked the bullet in Madd’s shop, which I found quite effective, especially since it was a silhouette.
  • That letter Shiona left for Rei was in English in the image, and was barely legible.
  • What the heck was with that bullet hole CG? Shiona didn’t need to get that naked to show it to him. And where did her underwear go? I also noticed that in subsequent CGs, there was always something in the frame to cover the hole, which kind of bothered me.

Story stuff:

• @cjlim2007 mentioned it above, but it bears being brought up again: Why are the two kinetic novels also the two most obviously Christian influenced? For goodness sake, without even getting into themes, Planetarian’s main theme is the tune of What a Friend We Have in Jesus, and Harmonia has The Lord’s Prayer verbatim.
  • Where in the world does this take place?
  • I am a bit curious as to why the colour of happiness is orange; I would have expected it to be yellow.
  • It’s funny, but I was able to relate to Madd over the strangest thing… My watch is spring powered and hand wound, just like his clock. Also, he’s totally a tsundere, and totally not Mr. Braun from Steins;Gate.
  • I’m glad they solved it by the end, but for a while there I was really scared that Rei was going to be a “guy is too nice to both girls and thus ends up hurting both” character, one of my least favourite to see.

I’m sure this will be discussed anyways due to the fact that it’s pretty well the main theme of the story, but I want to hear about what this story says about emotions.

Here’s the thing. Rei starts off the story without emotions, and as time progresses he learns more and more about them. He encounters characters that embody a single emotion: Shiona is joy, Madd is anger, and Tipi is sadness. But it’s not seeing these emotional characters that teaches him to feel, it’s interacting with them and bringing them together that unlocks the emotions within himself.

At first, he can only understand his body’s physical reaction to emotion. He feels stiff when he is afraid of Madd. He feels hot when he is attracted to Shiona. But over time, the way the thinks about these emotions changes. He feels “blue” when he sees Tipi crying. He feels “red” when Shiona is being blunt with Tipi about her parents.

And then, of course, the story starts to bash you over the head with it a bit. The world fell into ruin because people forgot how to love. At several points, Rei calls the humans “mechanical” or “robotic”, obviously drawing a parallel between the emotionless humans and the feeling Phiroids, but what I found most compelling about that section of the story was one particular line: "Love is the origin of all emotions."

My thoughts on the whole thing are still very disorganized and tumbling around. It’ll take a few days and another playthrough before I’ll feel confident going any deeper than this, but that was my initial gut reaction at least. Good story, high fives all around, excited for the podcast, thank you Key.

7 Likes

From what I’ve read from him, I’m kinda getting that Jun Maeda is an atheist. On another hand, Rewrite’s Lucia route also utilized Christian stories and symbols as part of the storytelling.

I’d even go so far to say that he’s the second biggest tsundere in Key, next to Lucia. XD

As for my thoughts, I like this game. I also like the touch that while the Phiroid trio are defined by their dominant emotions, they explored it in as complex a manner as they could, that their characters were realized well enough. Also, it’s not the most original idea ever, but I like that they deconstructed kindness.

The music is great, but why did they have to include a generic pop ballad that felt like it came straight from a karaoke machine??? (I still like you Orito) Terrarum best track tho, while Tristitia and Oppidum comes close. I also really like the (mostly) Latin theme naming. I guess it’s a thing when Mizutsuki and Orito contribute majorly to soundtracks; it happened to Rewrite too.

Also it’s quite funny how I found it so easy to make comparisons to other works, Key or not. I mean, the Planetarian comparisons have been said here, so… when i found out that Rei’s right hand is made out of automail prosthesis… y’now. And when Rei said that he didn’t want to be lonely… IS THAT YOU KOTAROU??

Also, I haven’t consolidated well my thoughts on what themes this story explored, as I honestly think that it’s there, but I haven’t reach a conclusion yet. I’ll get back here by then.

2 Likes

Wait am I the only one not upset with Shiona’s words towards Tipi? I mean, that was pretty cruel, and the story got dark quick, but at that time I honestly thought that she really needed to accept the loss, otherwise she can’t possibly move on. The latter revelation gave it more sense than this thought though, but I didn’t really find myself angry towards Shiona as her words were pretty sensible.

1 Like

I was very torn and confused. Yes, it’s good to accept loss, but she says it in such an extreme way. I really was not sure how to react. It was obvious there would be some reason for it later (other than them being robots because we called that so early), so I just focused on finding that reason.

1 Like

I was kinda upset about this but during the scene I was thinking to myself, there’s no way Key would write this character to have bad intentions. (LB spoilers) Like in Haruka’s route, Kanata never meant to kill her sister. She did was she had to do to keep both of them alive in a shitty family. This also led me to believe that Shiona was a phiroid. She was able to dish out extreme levels of savage and still be smiling which either means she is a super yandere bitch, or a robot who can only talk with the emotion of happiness, no matter what the circumstance. I thought the same with Madd as well because of how Shiona interpreted his anger as actually being quite kind. If we are to trust Shiona, which really isn’t too hard with Key stories (unlike that crazy 07th stuff I’ve been reading) then she will give us the insight into all of the other characters we meet.

4 Likes

Itaru Hinoue often draws nopan characters, like in that other illustration where Shiona is sitting in the water. That CG was on the limit between “pure” and “erotic”, but it’s a fine limit.

And I noticed too after chapter 6 that we only get to see her left hand in the CG, in order to keep showing her human side.

1 Like

I believe that Harmonia is a beautiful story but not very beautifully written. Therefore, my goal will be to explain what I mean when I say that and to showcase what it did to make me feel this way. So I’ll start by going over my view of “beauty” while relating that to the novel and then move on to what parts disturbs said beauty.

Most times when I speak of beauty in stories can be divided into two types; let’s refer to these as emotional beauty and structural beauty. Emotional beauty would be the more ethereal of the two being about a strong display of emotion. I’ve mentioned before how love transcending time and space gets to me on a personal level, so it’s harder for me to really explain this. Structural beauty is all about the layout of the novel and its parts: plot, prose, visuals, music etc. For a novel to structurally beautiful, the creators must connect these different parts on multiple planes to make the whole greater than the sum of its parts. Let’s take some examples to make it easier:

• Tomoyo After and Umineko have really beautiful plot because everything constantly builds on what happened previously. The routes in Rewrite and Little Busters! Don’t have this because they are made to be placed alongside each other rather than in a sequence, and in the end there is nothing that gives value to having done all routes.
  • Forest and Juniper’s Knot are two novels that really use their visuals to improve the experience; the former creates an eerie atmosphere with it’s deformed depictions of famous characters, and the latter gives a clear image of the story’s main conflict simply through blocking and framing.

Now how does Harmonia relate to all this? Indeed, I think Harmonia ultimately is very emotionally beautiful because of how the two Phiroids entrust Rei with knowledge and emotions, and then they wake up to see the results of his effort in the far future; it’s the combination of love winning out in the end and the すれ違い, how they just miss each other and don’t get to experience harmony together, in the end that I really like. The emotions is not where the problem lies.

I really found Harmonia quite messy structure-wise. It has a bunch of cool ideas, but they ended up not being used well enough. The roles of the logical and the emotional having been swapped between humans and robots, having Shiona go spooky creating a Higurashi/Misery feel, characters whose life is dependant on a single emotion: those are all cool ideas, but having all of them at the same time made the atmosphere flipflop around like a dying fish. Other than that, the story also becomes very exposition heavy after they leave the village because time is running out and they have to clarify on everything they’ve been hinting at for the whole story as well as reveal some things not foreshadowed. There are also more minor things like why he hides his arm: is it because he would be discarded as a damaged product? The three laws of robotics also seem to be handled very carelessly for convenience’s sake. For example, had the three laws been in effect, Madd would not have been able to throw Rei out of his shop causing physical pain, and Tipi would probably end up in an eternal conflict between her desire for a family and the third law. Despite that, what we’re told about Phiroids not being able to hurt or disobey humans indicates that the laws do apply to this world. As others have pointed out, there is a lack of information about the world in general, though that ties in with the twist and how Phiroids worked hard to preserve things as they were before. A lot of the issue culminated around chapter 6-7, so I was too focused on all that to get anything out of the death scenes. Now, I did mention visuals and stuff was part of structural beauty, and a lot of that is really well done, but I’ve decided to make a more positive post later.

So just to summarize, Harmonia was very emotionally beautiful, but that doesn’t really say much. It’d be practically the same if I just read a short summary of Rei receiving the tools to save the world and then having the girls revive in the far future. If you told me that, I’d say that I’d cry reading that story, but there’s a lot more to literature than that. Going from Hinamizawa to a war zone to exposition land really killed most of my investment. No matter what the epilogue made me feel, I’m still not going to think very highly of it if the journey up to that point was so rough. The reason I so frequently spoil myself is because I think the journey is more important than the end goal.

(Overview of visual and music integration coming at some point in the future)

11 Likes

I’m going to try gathering my thoughts on all of Harmonia as best as I can. Let’s start with the music which is so amazing that I listened to the title menu music for a brief moment. It was really remarkable so I’ll give credit to Key for providing this astounding soundtrack. My favorite song is Towa no Hoshi e which starts off with the music box melody and then develops into an guitar riff arrangement that was beautifully done to invoke the feelings that Shiona had presented to Rei and the townspeople. Tristitia is one of the most awe-inspiring tracks that leaves you with a breath-taking experience.

Now we’ll get to the heart of the story. I liked how Rei was introduced as he was trying to find out how he wanted someone to teach him about emotions while he escaped from the abandoned factory. Upon meeting Shiona for the first time, she almost reminded of Komari in LB! as @SuikaShoujo mentioned with her kindness, her radiance, and her generosity all full of smiles. She was a remarkable person who truly wanted to help him as she spent her valuable time and energy sharing her thoughts and feelings. Rei slowly comes to learn what it feels like to experience many of the things that humans enjoy and how his feelings had changed over time. I didn’t quite understand at first about powapowa but when Shiona mentioned that it was related to the warm feelings that was instilled in her heart was how she wanted Rei to experience the warmth and depth of those emotions. The colors orange, blue, and red have deep significance in the story. For instance, orange representing “happiness” closely resembles how Shiona’s character with her radiance and beautifying smile of hers generated thoughts of warm and fuzzy feelings. Red, representing “anger”, resembled to Madd’s character was when he was outraged about his clock being broken and took it out on Rei for destroying his precious treasure. Blue, representing “sadness”, relates to Tipi as she spent all alone in the library crying out her tears with sad, lonely feelings that no one would come and see her.

The story was very interesting to get into as it has a similar theme like Planetarian VN with the post-apocalyptic setting where there is nothing but despair and the world being devoid of all hope. In the world of Harmonia, there was a time when humans and Phiroids did live together and as Phiroids they tried their best to become useful in every way possible. But of course, there would be humans that would say otherwise and use them for slave labor and other terrible means of misusing technology for their own advantages. I found it very adoring how the characters were close to each other, especially when Shiona and Rei always linked hands with each other or when Tipi wanted Rei to pat on her head telling her she was a good girl and promising that he would always come visit her to the library.

Anyway, back to the story, getting into the later parts of the chapters was heart-wrenching at times and it was enjoyable from start to finish. Especially with Chapters 5-8, were the most hardest to read. With Chapter 5, I felt Tipi’s feelings when she related her backstory as to why her parents left for those 200 years that she spent alone in the library wanted someone to be with her. The picture diary she kept and used were adorable in its own settings as she drew pictures that meant the most to her. So, I can agree with @EisenKoubu on that notion for the level of commitment that it took her to make those drawings. During that same chapter, when Shiona was in the dark telling how Rei shouldn’t get close to Tipi was shocking at first and then when she says those horrible things to Tipi about her parents never coming back and she would always be alone with a smile on her face was cruel and hurtful. Chapter 6 was when things took an ugly turn as Rei had to protect Shiona and Tipi from the cloaked humans who decided to raid the town. I was shocked to find out that the young man that Rei had saved after he came back from the abandoned factory led the marauders to that town and Rei blamed himself for those inactions.

The last few chapters where finally Rei began to realized he was not even human surprised me a lot. Tipi got to me personally as I found her character very adorable knowing her ultimate fate that changed everything as they left for the factory and struggled with their very lives surviving during those desperate times. I’m glad that Shiona had later explained that she was doing this for Tipi realizing that she was not designed to accept the concept of death as Tipi was made as a second generation of Phiroids. It was for her own protection that Rei was not allowed to hug or get close to her which as Rei mentioned would have been a cruel death in easing her long pain for those 200 years. I’ll admit I cried for Tipi so much that my hearstrings felt like they were ripped apart as she told Rei to backup the info for all the books provided from the library integrated to the tablet. :sob: Rei had to come to terms how he was going to keep moving forward as Shiona comes to show him that he needs to smile during his time of need. I was emotionally drained after those chapters that I had to take adequate breaks to process the story and see how it was going to end. The CGs after the credits were artistically beautiful and paved the way for Phiroids and humans that were finally able to live together in peace and harmony. The music box made me so happy to hear again as it once was Shiona’s brother music that inspired singing to her heart’s content and enjoyment.

I really did enjoy it and I think Hinoue’s art was remarkable in every step of the way and the graphics with the scenery of the church, the town, the libary and the factory were astounding to view. The characters, music, and the setting provided were so well done that it was by far one of the most interesting VNs yet. Although I guess I preferred Planetarian with its story, Harmonia was just as good to read. Overall, I loved this story and it was worth the wait coming out on Steam and the hype generated for the VN. :smile:

4 Likes

After watching the sub-par production that was the Rewrite anime… Wow. Presentation-wise, this is Key at the top of their game. The music is gorgeous and complements the on-screen action perfectly. The four character designs are deliberate, perfectly encapsulating the essence of the characters they represent. The CGs are breathtaking, doing justice to the dramatic moments they represent.

However… At the end of the day, I’m just not sure what to think of this story.

I was engrossed in Rei’s story. His quest to rediscover his emotions is compelling, and I loved the way his straight-forward way of rationalizing his surroundings affects Shinoa, Tipi, and Madd. In many ways, I wish I could go back to a time when I had the child-like, naive approach to helping others that Rei has at the start of this story. His determination is so inspirational, it rallies the understandably hesitant townspeople to aid him in his quest. At the core of it, all of them recognize the importance of emotions to one’s existences. Although life in itself is meaningful, aren’t the memories we form what ultimately makes us treasure it so? In many ways, this revelation is reminiscent of the lesson Planetarian taught the Junker. An interesting contrast between the leads of both is the Junker needs to learn to appreciate the value of sentimentality, and how the bonds and ideals we strive for are what make life worthwhile. Rei, meanwhile, is searching for this goal from the very beginning. What hits him unexpectedly is the cynical realities that come with life.

And this is where I fail to understand exactly what the story is hoping to accomplish. After the narrative is temporarily derailed by a man-to-man conflict, an opportunity is presented to ex-posit the truth of everything Rei has experienced. Rediscovering his emotions shouldn’t have been necessary because he was a human from the start. And yet, he realizes that he needed the Phiroids. Not in the convenient, self-serving way people had previously relied on them, but in how they taught him why bonding with the complex strengths and shortcomings of individuals is so significant. In Rei’s mind, the only thing that discovering his friends are Phiroids changes about his perception of them is how surprisingly fragile and temporary their lives appear to him.

Although he recognizes this truth, he’s not ready for them to pass away. He confidently proclaims that he will never forget the impact their lives together had on him and vows to find the place where humans and Phiroids can live together in peace. Although his goal, from a practical perspective, is a little more than a strong conviction, the emotional conclusion in of itself is powerful. In spite of their deaths, he is determined to find those who have recognized in the end, there is really no difference between humans and Phiroids.

I expected it to end in this ambiguous, if satisfying manner.

Instead, the epilogue proved to be a disastrously idealistic indulgence to help people deal with the emotional sledgehammer from the game’s prior chapter.

The strong sense of realism and futility that surrounded Planetarian’s narrative (and this game for much of it’s run) disappears in an instant. Everyone who perished (many in the tragic pursuit of emotional satisfaction) is alive again with the minimal catch that they have lost their memories of the past. No concrete explanation is given for how the protagonist was able to change things; although a long backlog of information about humankind’s history is incredibly useful, for him to have brought the town back from ruin presumably of his own strength is incomprehensible. It’s wish fulfillment that doesn’t ring true with the crippling emotional realities the story previously established to be true. It flies in the face of the “selfish” nature of humans the story insisted so many had. Even a thin rationale for how he was able to change the town in such a positive way would have lessened the blow, but the story doesn’t even give us that. Much like a tragic ending isn’t sad if isn’t properly built-up to, a happy ending isn’t satisfying if it isn’t earned. And this one only works on the most base of levels. Instead of letting the story’s emphasis be on the main character’s cemented resolve, it instead rests on a happy ending that fails to follow the way it’s message was presented.

Regardless, it was definitely worth a read. I cared about everything that happened in this story. Key’s skill with characters is on grand display, and the emotional moments apart from the ending totally hit the mark. But… I just cannot forgive the cheap wish-fulfillment the writers decided to use to conclude this otherwise well-made tale.

5 Likes

Yeah, Hikimori no Uta in particular seems to make it pretty clear what Maeda’s opinion on the matter is. As for that Rewrite route, that was the one written by Ryukishi07, who’s not even part of Key, so I feel like the Jun-Maeda-wasn’t-the-story-lead explanation, while almost certainly an important part, still doesn’t fully explain it. On the other hand, I don’t see a lot of common staff between the two kinetic novels either.

Yeah, everyone has their own limit for those sorts of things, and that just happened to be beyond mine, so I was a bit disappointed.

I’m not upset about it as you appear to be, but I do have to agree with you: the ending seemed almost inappropriately happy. Still, I actually found that happy ending more affecting than the death scenes earlier. Maybe it was because it was obvious they were going to die; maybe it was because they both died so suddenly after leaving town. Whatever the reason, the only thing I was thinking was “yup, this makes sense.” But then the post credits epilogue mirrored the start of the game, but this time the world was healed and the tone was positive. It just kind of worked for me, and seeing them happy finally was my reward, even if there was still the loss of memories and loss of Rei. Maybe it would have felt less cheap if we had spent more time with Rei by himself before rolling the credits. Give him a chapter to come to terms with his loss and decide how he’s going to fix the world. I feel like if we had seen his plan, it would be easier to buy the idea that he succeeded.

2 Likes

I can understand why you don’t like the ending and I can offer two theories as to what may have happened in order for the new world to come about.

1. It’s a dream/heaven. When I initially finished the story I thought of this because it could be kida similar to (Planetarian full series spoilers) the end of Hoshi no Hito, when the Junker dies and is presumably in heaven where he sees Yumemi and all of the people in the planetarium. However, Rei is not present would kinda be a sucky heaven right?

2. Information in this point in time is the most valuable thing, but the remaining humans don’t know it. We know that at the end, Tipi’s parting gift was the entire database of books. We’ve already seen how powerful this information has been with the rebuilding of the projector and music box. Even though those are small things, remember that Rei was able to rebuild those things in less than a week. Who knows what he could do with the database of everything? The power of information is almost limitless.

1 Like

Both are possible. As to No. 2, however, I find it unlikely. Because the town’s been overrun by ravagers, Rei doesn’t have access to the tools he’d normally use. Even a small mistake on his part would likely lead to his death. As a result, it’s simply too big of a lapse in logic for me to accept, as I simply don’t see a clear path to victory for him.

@Bacon41 You basically hit the nail on the head. I don’t feel it lays out clearly enough how realistically Rei is supposed to achieve his goals. Maybe if, say, a community of Phiroids had escaped the city, or the discovered a town of motiveless humans who he’d be able to influence, it would be easier. However, the lack of either makes it far too difficult for me to accept.

Do you believe the ending was a satisfying conclusion to the narrative or do you believe it was unrealistically ideal.

I was thinking of making a completely different topic for this because it’s kinda philosophy and also may involve using planetarian as evidence but What makes a human human? Is it the ability to express and feel emotions? The ability to love? Free will? Morals? Acknowledgment of death?

2 Likes