General Anime Discussion

not sure if you meant the other stuff but Shokugeki no Souma is 2 cour and episode 14/24 airs today so that’s not ending soon.

Hibike Euphonium was probably a standout for me, loved it the whole way through the ending was probably the best way it could have ended.

I stated my opinions on Nisekoi: in the currently airing thread but I hated it as an adaptation, it was rushed, chose stupid chapters to adapt, skipped important ones, but as an anime I still got some enjoyment.

Shokugeki no Souma is on-going but I’m enjoying it so far. Pretty good adaptation and I can’t think of anything that’s been skipped or majorly changed in someway.

DanMachi was good at the start but I got bored of it half-way through and never dropped it for some reason, kinda regret picking that instead of Plastic Memories or something.

JoJo’s was JoJo’s and I Can’t Understand What my Husband is saying S2 was I Can’t Understand What my Husband is Saying S2. Both were just as I expected.

Grisaia was more enjoyable for me than the first season but we’ll see how I still feel about it once I read the two VNs.

The finale did this thing where it made every character relevant and have a role and that was super neat. Feels more like they made that first and then made a series to build up to it.

Ah, I just realized. I’ve only just got to episode 13.
The other stuff are the other shows I need to catch up with. Kekkai Sensen, Denpa Kyoshi, Jewelpet, Kyoukai, Ore Monogatari, Nisekoi, Re-Kan, Show by Rock, and Sidonia.

Probably. They made it to sell the VN for sure.

1 Like

You’re right about that, and I guess it helped character development. I’m more in it for the plot, so I was disappointed that it didn’t tie that one up neatly =/

I was talking with a friend and he felt the same. He said he feels the anime is just “another ending”

The season of amazing OPs is over, and what a season it was! There were a lot of memorable shows this season, and it looks to have brought some nice manga to attention, which is always a good bonus~

My earlier thoughts on the season can be found here.

Now, let’s get right into it! First up…

Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works 2 was pretty cool. I think I preferred the first season, but this was still very good. I always have a problem with F/SN in that it feels very… matter-of-fact. I’m never really impressed by it, but I like it. It’s definitely worth watching of course, but unfortunately it’s nowhere near as good as F/Z was, as an anime or an adaptation.
Ufotable did create a really nice piece of work, and even added in some new stuff. The latter episodes were overly heavy on the dialogue, a problem with the transition from VN to anime, which really ruined the build up for me, but up until the final few fights, and during the epilogue, I really liked the series. I do recommend it, but if you are looking for another Fate/Zero, this isn’t it.
Oh, but props to the guys for getting Aimer to do hype songs. It’s not the style of song she is normally heard singing, but it’s amazing.
7/10

Plastic Memories was actually really good. Early on it was clear that it wanted to be Kaiba-esque. Start off with an episodic format to build up the characters and set up events, and then switch out to focusing on the overarching story. I know some people don’t like this style, but I think it can work well. Unlike Kaiba however, I believe that the story part was better than the episodic parts. The early episodes were all very simple and formulaic, and the characters were still undeveloped. Some people cried to these episodes, but hey, some people cried to Kimi Uso; not everyone has good taste.
Now, what makes this show good? The protagonist is such an understandable person. There are comments that he isn’t very impactful or stand-out, but as the series progressed, I started to like the guy more and more. He’s a kid entering the working world, and he’s met with some things that are sensitive or confusing. He asks questions, even if he knows the answers, and even if it may hurt people, because he wants answers. He’s not insensitive or stupid, he’s a passionate guy who puts in a lot of work and effort. When bad things happen, he doesn’t accept them immediately, but he figures out what’s best in the end. I don’t know if I can really praise the character as much as I want to, but… watch the show. You’ll see this guy’s actions throughout the course of the series and think “wow, this guy isn’t an angsty teen who acts before he thinks.” Anime. shrug
The supporting cast is nice. There’s a girl who gets a bit annoying when she goes Tsun, but she’s a nice person. There’s a boss with less screen presence than the main character of Yuru Yuri, but he’s a nice person. There’s a cute girl who looks a bit like a stricter version of the protag of the upcoming Chaos Dragon anime, and she’s best girl. There’s the old pimp guy who is kind of a bro, but awful at giving advice. You get to spend time with the reliable glasses guy, and the blonde who loves cute girls. They are all so generic… but nice. They sum up the show pretty well I think. Nothing special, but very very nice.
That might sound a bit rude, but really, there is nothing big about this anime. It’s predictable. There’s no moment I can call a hook. There’s no story equivalent bass drop. There are a couple moments that are memorable, but they are more reminders that an overall story exists than anything else. I think that this is a good thing though, because the series feels like it belongs at the start of a KH game - simple and clean. That’s probably why, and I’m sure many out there did the same thing, I cried at a point in this show.
The pacing and the atmosphere was managed well.
7/10

Punchline was… promising…
There were good episodes, and glimmers of what could be. There were episodes that really had “woah” moments. Despite how predictable everything was about the show, there were characters interactions that were just really good watches.
But in the end, Punchline was very mediocre. I don’t even have that much to say about it. Narugino was cute I guess. She’s like a mix of Kanon Otosaki and Star Guardian Lux.
This show was made to sell an upcoming VN. Don’t expect this to be a complete or a satisfying show. It has good bits, and the potential for the Punchline VN is higher than the potential of CLG at the start of Spring, but the anime just wasn’t good enough.
5/10

Yamada-kun to 7-nin no Majo was so sooo entertaining… until about halfway through. The anime quickly started to run out of time. The pacing issues got worse and worse every episode, and it’s so annoying, because I loved what bits we actually got to see. The characters are all pretty and interesting and pretty. The OP is my OP of the season, and the voice actors for this show are so good, that you could bodyswap any of the characters off-screen and you’d know who is who from the way they speak. There are some pretty visuals are times, and the story has a lot of good drama moments and reveals… but the pacing kinda ruins it. I think for someone less experienced with anime, this would be easy to overlook, but bad adaptations stick out like a sore thumb if you see enough of them.
I’ll be reading the manga, and if you are okay with doing the same, I suggest you do. Still, this show has it’s positives, voice actors in particular.
6/10

Arslan Senki is a classic story by a classic writer. It is what you’d expect really. It’s a very nice replacement for last year’s Yona, and it feels very similar at times. Mix Yona with Magi, sprinkle some UVERworld goodness over it, and Arslan is what you get. While the show doesn’t focus on individual characters as much as Yona or Magi did, I feel like Arslan tells a better story overall. It still has the problems that comes with this type of show - constant drama and battle with no reprieve. I’ve dropped the show a couple times just to take a break from it all. Luckily the show is easy for me to get enthusiastic about again, something Yona and Magi didn’t achieve.
There are some really nice character designs. The animation is pretty bad, but the character designs still shine through. The updates to characters like Daryun are really nice. At first I didn’t like the thin-eye thing that they had going on with some stricter characters, but Farangis won me over. Even the sleazy womanizer is cool. It’s always nice to have some kind people in a show of deceit.
Arslan isn’t finished, but so far it’s told an interesting story. I look forward to how it turns out, and I’m looking forward to seeing the main cast get more screen time.

Owari no Seraph was incredibly generic and boring. The animation was awful, the pacing was messy, and the whole thing was a set-up for season 2. These do mainly seem to be anime problems though. The manga might be better, but don’t watch the anime. It’s bad.
I’m gonna give it some points though, because Shinoa is cute, and the show has my favorite ED of the season.
3/10

Kekkai Sensen is having some issues and the final episode has been stalled, so this isn’t complete (although the final episode was foreshadowed at the start, so I kinda know what’s gonna happen.) The show is good. Not amazing, but good. There have been a couple shows that were bad adaptions, but from what I’ve heard of the source material, I think this anime might be better than the source in my opinion. There are hints of the manga that show up in this adaption, the random episodes that follow a typical episodic “conflict, help, conflict, solution” pattern, but there is a story in the anime. A story of a ghost and a boy who sees all. I’ll avoid spoilers, but it’s a good story. It’s really entertaining, one of my favorite shows right now. It’s very Hamatora-esque in it’s character designs, and it shares the superpower trait. The world building in this show is pretty good, and the creativity in the alien designs in really fun to observe. The animation is sooo good and stylistic too, again, kinda reminiscent of Hamatora (the second season at least.)
The show isn’t finished, so I won’t make a final judgement, but from what has aired so far, I really enjoy this show, and I recommend it.
Chain needs more screentime though.

hibike

Hibike! Euphonium (and Knuckles) is a show I have mixed opinions about. At first, I wasn’t too into it, but after the series was half-way done, I loved it. It seemed like KyoAni got their good staff together for the first time in forever. There were some moments that make you remember these guys did the Disappearance movie. The animation is so cleverly managed, and the camera work… Oooooh the camera work. There was one bit, I think it was near the start of episode 5 or something, that was amazing. Episode 5 was one of the best episodes of anime I’ve seen in years. I rambled about it on Twitter. Speaking of episode 5, those costumes were so cute! The characters are cute anyway, but those costumes! Ah, the song was great too.
The evolution of the MC was really interesting to see. I think that was supposed to be the focus of the show. Kumiko really changed as the episodes progressed. At the start, Reina was more down-to-earth than Kumiko ever was, and at the end…
Now, the things that make Hibike great have always been glimmers in KyoAni’s work, but it’s always used minimally. The god-like directing doesn’t show up enough. The beautiful animation isn’t consistant. Eventually the show just becomes another typical overhyped KyoAni show that had promise, but fell straight back into the trash can.
Hibike set out to change this… and… I’m not sure if it did - At least, to the degree I wanted it to. It didn’t plummet in quality. The animation was always very good. The amazing director (whoever it was) continued to direct great scenes. But… after episode 5… it never really got any better. Some episodes were a drop in quality; they lacked focus or just didn’t have much interesting to stay.
I still loved the show, I really did… but it could have been mindblowingly good, like the early episodes were. Instead, the show came to an end, and all my thoughts on the show lumped together to create the word "good."
Just… good.
8/10
Reina best girl. Sleepy-senpai comes close. Anyone who disagrees is wrong.

Shokugeki no Soma. I’m gonna bring up what is turning out to be a running discussion in my posts… The use of the typical Shounen formula. This is the type of story that brings in a character or a challenge, creates a conflict, starts an action sequence, and comes out with the protag or a main character learning something new. This can be seen in shows like DBZ, and in shows like Yugioh where the action part is a card game, or Bakuman where the action is doodling or writing. In the past, there have been two shows that made me bring up this formula. Tribe Cool Crew was a good example. It’s action scenes were dance sequences… ugly cg dance sequences. But the build-up, the soundtrack, the characters, the pacing, was all so good that, even though it’s action scenes weren’t great, I got hyped whenever the dance began. I was interested in dancing, even though whenever I wasn’t watching it, I had little interest in dancing.
The other show was KimiUso, an example of a bad Shounen. Sometimes the leadup was good, sometimes it wasn’t, but generally it built up an interesting conflict or character… then they would follow up with a bad action scene featuring some boring mechanical classical music, and the voice of someone repeating the messages spoken during the leadup. Sometimes a character would learn something from the experience, but for the most part, a character was going to be kicked out of the spotlight for a long time.
Shokugeki is a good example. It sets the scenario, introduces a conflict and 1+ characters, explores them, kicks off the action sequence, and comes to a resolution where something new unravelled. The soundtrack builds up the hype so well, and when a character decides on their goal, or realizes their mistake, or reveals what they cooked… it’s just so invigorating. I hate cooking. Eating is an annoying time sink you need to get through to not die… But god this show makes cooking so exciting. The show always keeps the threat of loss around. It never feels like victory is a shoe-in for the main character, heck, a lot of the time the cooking scenes don’t end in victory, they end with a satisfying resolution. The characters are all good too. The main character is a treat to watch, and there are so many good female characters that it’s hard to pick a favorite… Though I’m gonna say countryside girl is best right now. The animation is great. The detail to the food is really good, and the chibi art is the best I’ve seen in anime since back when Sora no Otoshimono aired.
Plus, this show does what every show should… It leads-in to the ED by keeping a scene running when the music starts. If you want to end an episode in excitement, that’s how you do it.
I don’t want to keep rambling, but it’s safe to say that this show is my AOTS, and possibly the only anime of this year so far in contention for the AOTY title.

Jewelpet: Magical Change unfortunately isn’t getting English subs, at least, not that I’ve seen. I wanted to pick it up, but oh well. From the first episode, it looks like they are taking the Digimon Adventure “tags” system. When a Jewelpet comes in contact with the tag, it transforms into a human. They have some cute designs, and it’s a nice break from the previous iterations of the Jewelpet world, but it could’ve been more inventive. I’m really not a fan of the human characters, but maybe they just need time. Still, they have some cute interactions going on between the Jewelpets, and that’s all you really need in a Jewelpet anime.
If you have a little girl, who knows Japanese, and you are reading this… for some reason… uh, look out for this…?

Mikagura School Suite was fun. It had a bunch of really nice characters, and an interesting concept to go by. Unfortunately, this is a VOCALOID anime… So eventually it must lead to disappointment. I feel like this show fell short, and I can’t even put that as a negative, because the method it uses to disappoint me is exactly what I’d expect out of the show. It’s silly.
Take episode 1, and keep it in mind. The show will always be that. Don’t expect… stuff.
5/10

Ore Monogatari!! is another unfinished show, so no final opinions yet. This show is kind of weird… I like each episode, and it’s fun, and the girl is so cute that it’s unfair… but no big drama really happens. It’s nice to not have a big drama, I don’t really want there to be, but when I’m not watching an episode my opinions on the show suddenly plummet. Basically, I like the show when I’m watching it, but have nothing to really say about it when I’m not watching it.
I love the OP singer’s voice, but the actual song doesn’t do it for me.The animation in the ED is masterful. It seems like such an 80’s TV show thing.

Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru: Zoku is a sequel to an anime from 2 years ago, that I remember as nothing more than an average Oreimo-esque show. I mentally compared it to Nakaimo a lot.
Apparently I forgot stuff though, because it has a big following. Okay, well let’s go into season 2 and see what we missed!
Nah. A problem immediately arises in this show, and it’s frustrating as hell. It’s a sequel to a 2 year old anime… and it has no flashbacks or info checks (apart from a flashback to the episode with the young Yukino clone, which is now the only episode of s1 I remember.) It hints to things but never tells you what those things are. The first story with the bullies is hard to understand because they drop character names without actually showing who is who. You can at least show an image of the character when you say their name…
Buuut, that’s enough of that. The story is pretty nice. It’s a bit weird that a group of bullies would go over to the kid they looked down on and cry in front of him while asking for help… but anime isn’t realistic, so whatever.
Aside from not knowing who is who, the dramas about keeping the group of friends together was pretty fun. There was some stuff going on with the main cast, but I dunno what that was. Yui was cute though.
The next drama was about the student council. They introduced a girl who was almost as good as Yui, and she became sort of a 4th member of the group. They had this annoying drama with another school that I think was dragged out a bit too long, but parts of it were very enjoyable. The drama came to a close, the characters did their overviews of the drama, and the show came to a grand end! … I wish.
Instead, the show continues by running through some drama with Yukino, although it never tells you what this drama is. Maybe I’m missing something from season 1, but the final few episodes are a “drama” that has nothing behind it. It was just confusing. The characters are all making a big deal out of something that I don’t even know exists. It kept trying to push an idea or a moral to the story, but it never did. It wanted to have meaning, but it forgot to actually say what that meaning was.
It really is a shame. The show had me coming back every week for most of the show, and then it just dropped in quality heavily towards the end.
The show had some cute girls, but the writing was dreadfully annoying. I think there was an issue with the transfer to the anime platform, and maybe the director didn’t take everything into account. I heard this would be good, and instead, it was a mess.
Oh, and that was an ending? It didn’t feel like the end of a season.
5/10

Next season I’ll be watching the greats - Charlotte, Million Doll, Gakkou Gurashi, and Overlord. I’ll also check out some of the shows that don’t shine as brightly, but may be good anyway. Classroom Crisis, Gangsta, Joukamachi no Dandelion, Aoharu x Kikanjuu, Chaos Dragon, Gate, Miss Monochrome 2, Ranpo Kitan, Rokka no Yuusha, and Venus Project, are all on my radar. There are some good movies coming out too.

I can’t believe I actually prepared a part of this post beforehand, just to make sure I can post my spring season impressions without too big a delay in case I get busy.

Ansatsu Kyoushitsu is a solid adaption, I guess. I don’t really have much to say about it except that I’m liking it. No surprises here, since I’ve started reading the manga way before the anime started. (If it was a failed adaption, I could at least talk about why it failed…)

For a typical otaku-pampering anime, Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka is among the better ones. The characters are entertaining to watch and the protagonist’s voice actor (Kirito/Sora/Sorata/etc. is doing a stellar job as always. It’s a bit refreshing to have a harem protagonist who scores by appealing to the girl’s motherly instincts. And while they aren’t as grave as in other similar anime, this one also has some balancing issues. The protagonist practically gets amazing power-ups for free. On the other hand, it explains his unnaturally fast growth in a better way than “he was born amazing”. Maybe it’s for the better that he grows so fast. A slow growth would be harder to present in an interesting way.
Unpopular opinion: I don’t like the character design of Hestia in the anime.

I didn’t like the second season of Fate/Stay Night: UBW as much as I did the first one. I’m not entirely sure why, but one of the reasons might be my dislike for the liberties the studio took this time around. For example, Ilya’s nannies really didn’t need that much screen time. The relationship between Ilya and Berserker wasn’t explained and portrayed as well as it could’ve been. At least when it comes to visuals, ufotable never disappoints, which is nice. That epilogue was so pointless, though.

Gintama is funny as always, not much to add there.

Not sure why I even watched Grisaia no Rakuen. Probably in order to have an excuse for not reading the rest of the trilogy.

Kekkai Sensen is even more crazy, chaotic and turbulent than Durarara. And there’s even crazy superpowers. Gotta love those wacky characters, too. Definitely entertaining. It always delivers in terms of comedy and action, and when there’s feels, there’s a LOT of feels. But I wonder if the series would be even better if it wasn’t as disconnected and episodic and the main storyline was more solid and overall more present in the episodes. Cut down on the number of characters to keep it more manageable. But if that happened… would this still be the same series? Oh, but I definitely love the amazing VA cast! Definitely!
And it’s not over yet. The last episode(s) has(have) yet to air.

Kyoukai no Rinne is halfway through. I didn’t expect much of it and everything went as expected. Pretty underwhelming overall. I watched it for the Ranma 1/2 nostalgia. (I know that Rumiko Takahashi also created Inuyasha, but the Ranma 1/2 vibes are way stronger in this one). Deadpan heroine was kind of a bore. To be fair, I don’t know what type of heroine would’ve been more fitting, but this one definitely didn’t contribute enough.
Speaking of characters, some of them were really predictable. Like, you see one of them for the first time, but you already know “ah, this one’s gonna fall head over heels.” Not sure if they’re actually this predictable, or just too similar to certain Ranma 1/2 characters.
Though, for some reason, ep12 struck me as exceptionally funny compared to the rest. Maybe there’s still hope, for the comedy part at least?

Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu is a return ticket to the world of the Haruhi Suzumiya series. Though it’s an alternate universe with slightly altered characters and a different protagonist, seeing and listening to all those wonderful characters again was a huge treat. I love these characters! As a standalone, the series doesn’t offer anything out of the ordinary, though. It’s not trying to be overly dramatic and the comedy is good. What do you guys think? Would the series be better if the romance (and drama) aspect was stronger? Or would that be an unfitting environment for a girl like Nagato Yuki-chan?

Nisekoi: I read the manga for the comedy. Yes, it’s taking way too long to end.

Owari no Seraph: Lt. Guren was great. Shinoa was awesome. Mika was a tool. Yuu was one heck of an inconsistent protagonist. The other characters were kinda insignificant. No, seriously, Shinoa is ‘best girl’ material. She made a really strong impression with her first appearance. She was really ‘annoying’ in a cute and funny way, but she also knew when to switch into serious mode. That ‘romance’ at the end felt forced, though. Well, the entire finale was weird. I heard that’s where the anime took a separate route from the source material. I really didn’t care about the story, btw.

I had high expectations for Plastic Memories, but they weren’t fulfilled. The story had an inherently huge drama potential, but it wasn’t properly made use of. Sometimes, drama was generated from plot holes. I’m not sure what exactly went wrong, though. Maybe the balance of comedy, drama and romance was off? The finale was executed properly, though. No complaints in that department.

The beginning of Punch Line was so terrible, I would’ve dropped it for good if it wasn’t for certain Kaza members singing it praises. Once I got through those misleading first two episodes, though, I was rewarded with a thrilling and emotional series full of plot twists . It’s definitely among this season’s top anime. But I think they overdid it a bit with the plot twists around the end. Shoulda given the viewers more time to ‘feel’ the situation. Incidentally, I watched it in two sessions. Ep01-06 and 07-12.

Not sure if Yamada-kun to 7-nin no Majo is an ok adaption or a weak adaption. I like the VA cast, but the overall impression of the anime is weaker than that of the Manga. For example, I had high expectations for the Noa arc, since it was pretty much my favorite part of the story. But it seriously lacked impact compared to how it was presented in the manga.

You know what’s next. You know exactly what I would save for last.
Yes, it’s Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Zoku (or Oregairu for short). A masterpiece and the most likely best anime of this year.
The second season was totally worth the 2 years of waiting. While the first season was overall more entertaining, since it was more focused on comedy and self-irony, season 2 was where the really serious stuff went down. It was much more “valuable” in terms of story progression and character development.
For why this series in total is so good, refer to this introduction, written by yours truly:
https://forum.kazamatsuri.org/t/kazamatsuri-orgs-10-non-key-anime-recommendations/1017/51?u=naoki_saten
Yes, a lot of characters have been fleshed out. And I’m not talking about just the main cast (that, admittedly, has been developed the most ). Even most side characters, like the popular kids group around Hayama has been taken a closer look at. And then there’s even the newcomer Isshiki Iroha, who has successfully established her position and got popular with the fans quite quickly. Back to the main cast: We have been shown the “other side” of every service club member this season. We have seen that Hachiman’s solutions were far from perfect and that him going full batman causes some trouble. Faced with his shortcomings and situations where his usual way of doing things won’t work, he reveals his most precious and ugly desire. Yukino has probably suffered the most, since this season has made a point to expose her weak side. Yes, the supposedly perfect and strong Yukinoshita Yukino has some serious, albeit well-hidden, weaknesses. But the one who stepped up their game the most is got to be Yuigahama Yui. She has proven over and over again that she’s not just the big-breasted nice girl. For when both Hachiman and Yukino display weakness, Yui shows strength. She is indispensable for the club. And sometimes… sometimes, she plays dirty. This season, the bonds of the service club members have been put to a harsh test.
Not saying, though, that this second season was perfect. A lot of material has been skipped and if I were to point out the biggest flaw, it would be the lack of a conclusion. The anime has caught up with the light novel now, but the story is still ongoing. We have been left with something like a cliffhanger, where problems were adressed, but not solved just yet. Thus, we are hoping, and waiting for a third season.
I just LOVE this show and the characters. I love discussing this series, therefore, if you ever feel like it, do let me know via post, pm or skype. I’M WAITING! If you want to ask anything about Oregairu, I’ll gladly answer your questions.

It’s weird that the anime-original portions are more interesting than the Manga stuff.

She’s the only reason to watch the show really. The only character who had a consistent and somewhat developing personality.

I didn’t even see it as a tearjerker, or much of a drama. It was clear that it wanted to be both, but didn’t want to move away from the pleasant atmosphere it had already created…
The finale still managed to get me somehow, and as I said before, I think it’s because of the show’s simplicity, so maybe not focusing heavily on drama gave the ending more impact.

I just wish they kept it up 'til the season’s finale. It kinda whimpered out in my opinion. The mid episodes really showed what potential the Punchline story can have, so it’ll be interesting to see what the VN does, but the anime didn’t end in a satisfying way.
The OP was catchy though~ I’m going to hear it live soon A It’ll be cool.

I still don’t even know what the drama was in her arc. They never actually went over it.
I’m looking forward to the manga though.

Oh, I knew I missed something from my post! I’ll have to add that.

Remember what uncle Naoki said over and over again? Never shut off your brain when watching Yahari. NEVER. It’s often hard to understand and the reasons behind character’s actions are non-obvious. So you need to try and figure out what it is. It’s part of the fun. If you’ve decided to give up, read some explanations on discussion topics (while avoiding the shipping wars posts -_-) or directly ask people who understand it - me for example.
Don’t say there’s nothing behind it. Just because you can’t see it doesn’t mean it’s not there. There’s A LOT behind it, it’s complicated and it’s not spoon-fed to the viewers, because that’s how it is in real life as well. There’s a lot of subtle hints, yes subtle. The story is told solely from Hachiman’s point of view - and he can’t read thoughts, though he’s good (not perfect) at analyzing that stuff.

The first season was more forgiving in that matter. If you stop thinking there, the show will look like a generic romcom, which, I guess, you can still get some standard entertainment from. You’d still be missing about 40% of the entertainment, though.
The second season is more serious and purpose-driven. The stuff you need to figure out holds like 85% of the entertainment value and it’s really good stuff.

srsly, ask away. I can explain everything most of this series’ events, character motivations, thoughts, etc… I spent a lot of time figuring this stuff out and I enjoyed every second of it.

Technically, it’s impossible to shut your brain off. I mean, unless you die or something.

While figuring things out can be fun, and the only stories I am really invested in have been ones where you can figure out so much from little bits of content, KH and Kara no Shoujo being great examples of this, Zoku was a bad example of this.
You don’t make the main gripping drama of a series something that has no background to it. Again, I have little memory of season 1, so maybe that’s why I don’t see it, but there was no explanation or reasoning for any of the drama at the end. It was stupid.
Subtle hints don’t matter if there is no reason to feel compelled enough to explore them. KH had me figuring out the whole plot around a character named Ventus, who hadn’t even been given a name yet, solely from a crappy DS game. Kara no Shoujo had me stopping every few scenes and checking over all the notes I had collected, just because a little thing appeared on-screen, or a character spoke in a weird way.
Zoku had none of that. There was no reason to explore anything. There was no conclusion to any of it, it came out of nowhere, and the characters didn’t treat whatever the drama was with the respect you’d expect from a cast. All it did was draw out the anime longer than it needed to be drawn out for, ending it with an episode that I didn’t even know was the finale until I checked it off my watching list. The last few episodes just felt empty, adding in some random unknown drama because it ran out of material.

Again, if it was something intriguing, I would, but the anime never introduces a reason to care. I don’t even know what I’m supposed to care for, because it’s never mentioned.
Was it something introduced in season 1? Because that may be my problem, and another reason why it’s stupid to not flashback to a story that was told 2 years ago.

If I don’t perceive something, how can it exist? Existence is born when I am aware of it.
It’s not there. This anime is a shell that tries hard to be smarter than it actually is.

Not sure I can agree with that either. Sure, he’s the protag, but I never felt like it was his story.

Ok, let me get the most annoying point out of the way first.

While this kind of ‘logic’ does have some philosophical value, it gets annoying really fast in cases like this one, because it’s drifting into the “my opinion is absolute and the only true one” area, which is, as you know, disrespectful and absolutely inaccaptable in a discussion. If you’re engaging in a conversation with people, you obviously have to acknowledge their existence.
And while you’re probably just trolling at this point, let me get one thing straight in case you’re actually serious:
You are NOT the only existence in the universe. You are not the only one who can perceive the world.
You can’t perceive nuclear radiation, but it’ll give you cancer regardless, so instead of being stubborn, you’d better listen to what the guy with the Geiger counter says.
So once again, just because you can’t see it doesn’t mean it’s not there.
It’s like I’m trying to show you my red teddy bear in order to prove that I have one and you just keep your eyes closed while shouting “I don’t see a single teddy bear! You’re a liar, Nick!”

Now back to the topic.

When something is happening and you don’t understand it, you’re supposed to want to gain understanding of it. If you can’t figure it out from the hints, it’s due to your inability. If you refuse to think about it, it’s due to your unwillingness. Don’t blame these things on the anime. It wasn’t tailored specifically for you. It’s not automatically bad because you were unable - or refused to - understand it. You decided not to make the minimum investment. There’s plenty of people who felt ‘compelled enough’ to use their brain (or ask other people) and capable enough to figure things out. If you don’t care enough about the series to even try, then I guess it didn’t match your tastes enough. It’s not the anime’s fault.

You have no right do judge something without gaining understanding of it.
From my point of view, the biggest problem here is that you already went into the first season with the wrong attitude and the wrong perception and refused to change them (despite my warnings) when you went into season 2. I’ll say it again: Yahari is NOT a regular silly romcom and series like Oreimo are nowhere close to it.

If you care for the characters, you also care for what’s going on with them. If you don’t care enough, why watch the second season? If you don’t remember what happened, (which is again, your inability,) why not go read a summary or rewatch some episodes?

Though it’s not so much about “What happened” but more about “What kind of people are certain characters?” (Unfortunately, that’s not something you can convey through flashbacks.) For example, the protagonist, Hachiman, can solve problems efficiently and effectively, however, he often disregards people’s feelings in the process and he’s fine with sacrificing himself (which, again, hurts the feelings of those close to him) as many times as it takes. Yukino hates lies. Both Yukino and Hachiman despise superficiality. All those factors taken together were the cause for the first conflict, which arised at the end of ep2, season2.

Another example:

First of all, Hayama Hayato’s clique are not bullies. They’re popular kids.
Secondly, this is actually not an unnatural situation if you know what kind of people they are. Tobe is an idiot and he’s super dependent on Hayato. In most cases, he will do as Hayato tells him to. He won’t give up on the girl he’s got a crush on, but he will ask the ‘evil’ kid for advice if Hayato says that’s where he should go. And Hayato knows exactly that Hachiman is capable of “solving” the problem (And unlike most people, he knows Hachiman didn’t actually do anything evil in that flashbacked rooftop scene, since he’s seen through his deception, but went along with it in season 1). He probably had the whole thing planned by the time he entered the room.

Just say the word and I’ll send a detailed explanation of this, or any other situation your way. An explanation for everything that went down in the first to episodes? No problem. I have the answers…

It was a very faithful adaption (apart from skipping over a lot of material) with no anime-original content. The drama was never random or unknown and it was actually shown in a more understandable manner than most things that were kept ambiguous throughout the series. You can see it if you try. I know you won’t, so just ask me.

The ending was a cliffhanger of sorts. It’s unfortunate that there wasn’t more material, but let me assure you of one thing: An anime-original ending would be an absolutely terrible farce in many ways. (In the first place, the story did not end)

I have the answers, Taka. All you have to do is ask the questions… I can help you understand (almost) everything about Yahari…

I was :stuck_out_tongue: It’s fun to get some jabs in. Same for the “shutting your brain off” part.

A viewer generally doesn’t decide to just not invest in a show. I give every show I watch the respect it deserves until it comes to a conclusion, as you’d see if you looked at my posts about Punchline.
There’s a difference between not wanting to do something, and having no reason to do something.
I will blame the anime. The job of an anime, first and foremost, is to entertain. If it fails to do that, then it’s not the fault of the viewer, it’s the fault of the anime. Even if it did not intend to cater to that audience, I won’t excuse it, because excusing mistakes is not part of my review process.

I enjoyed the show, up until they introduced a drama that was empty. It didn’t ever make me want to look around and see if there was reason, as it should have done, because it gave me no reason to do so. There was no hook to reach for.
It’s crazy to say, but I really doubt there was anything there, because they never made it seem like there was more behind it all. They just had some kids being dramatic for the sake of it, and there was nothing more.

Why not? I watched the same show you did. I have my own impressions. The whole point of these season summaries is that I give my impression.
Did my impressions cause harm? Did I overstep some boundaries? No, I watched a show and brought up it’s flaws.
Everyone has a right to an opinion, and luckily enough, I am a part of that everyone.

The start of a show should create your attitude and perception. With the first season, I never felt like the show was anything different to another generic show. It was a good generic show, but it was par of course.
With the second season, as I mentioned before, I tried to look for why some people think the first season was something special. And in the confusion of figuring out who is who, and wondering why the characters seem different to what I remember, I didn’t see anything else.

And I have nothing to back you up with. Zoku was a cute show with some bad drama thrown in.

And I do. Yui is a pretty great character at least. She does some dumb stuff sometimes though, but all the others do too.

It was airing. I tend to watch most of the anime that airs in a season. The first season was good, but nothing special, and with Zoku, I could find what that special thing was. Maybe it just made me overly attentive to the bad things~

I shouldn’t have to spend my time rewatching or re-experiencing something I’ve already watched. There was more than just Zoku airing. I’d rather see the new.
I judge shows as a standalone. If a sequel comes out so long after the original, and it doesn’t stand alone, then that’s the anime messing up.

I remember the characters. Hachi is the stubborn guy who is a bit masochistic. Yukino is the stereotypical smart girl who gets cute date scenes. The both of them have the “we have fakes” thing going on, which sometimes starts drama. Yui is the closest to normal of the group. She’s a bit dumb, and doesn’t have good decision making, but she tries.
The three of them make an awkward group who want to get along, but can’t, because muh opinions.

They present this in season two very well. They introduce Hachiman’s character, and there’s a whole arc dedicated to “hey audience! This guy is misguided! Make sure you remember! … Do you remember? Just in case… This guy is misguided!”
The problem there is that his behaviour would have been fine at the start of the story, when it was just a contest to solve cases or whatever the start up plot was, but now there are people who don’t like him doing it, so he can’t.

I know some of the characters are nice enough to depend on someone, but I just remember them as the bullies from season one. I’m not sure what happened to lead them from having minimum awareness of Hachiman to having heart-to-hearts.

But it could have stopped at the end of the previous arc, and then had the next season dedicated to this drama, instead of stopping so abruptly.

I can see the drama, and I know what’s going on. There are enough in-your-face moments to push that home.
I just don’t understand when the drama started, or why it’s happening. They were fine until they suddenly decided to be more awkward than usual. So when watching, it just feels like the show wrapped up the student council thing, forgot it had more episodes, and quickly started a drama that had no real reason to start.

“Of sorts.”
It felt like the end of an episode, but not the end of a season.

I shouldn’t need to. The show aired and finished, and there were many problems. Even if my questions get answered, my experience with the show as it was airing ended on a bad note, and I don’t do follow-up reviews.
The show may have wanted to raise questions, but it was handled abysmally.
There are other shows to care for, that are currently airing, and that I need to keep up with (14 shows at the minimum) so until a further season comes about, Oregairu is off my radar.

Is anyone watching Gakkou Gurashi? I’m liking the anime adaptation very much. They’re really really doing a great job. Also: Yuki best girl.

Yup, episode 1 destroyed me, 2 was still pretty good then 3 was great again. This is currently shaping up to be my favourite anime if the season.

1 Like

Watched NonNon yesterday…

It’s wonderful and magic the way you like it the more you watch it… Such beautiful and relaxing episodes… It’ll easily become my favorite anime soon if things keep on like this…

1 Like

Fairy Tail became likeable again ~

The road was long but now it’s over. Canon episodes resumed with the Tartaros arc and it’s really good so far. Well, a flashback at the beginning of every episode is kind of boring and shows that they want to save up their budget but it’s still a lot better than all the fillers crap we had during three months…

NonNon Biyori really is a masterpiece in its own way, I can’t think of many shows that just make you feel so at ease, and I’m a sucker for countryside settings so that’s another plus!

1 Like

I don’t know why I never replied to this thread before.
Here’s my anime planet account. I was reading the earlier posts and I guess I should use Hummingbird instead :stuck_out_tongue:
http://www.anime-planet.com/users/Rippleshadow/anime
I haven’t updated it in a while so…

I’ll fill this form out, I guess, but it isn’t exclusive to 2015.

Favorite anime: Angel Beats! and Clannad Afterstory :stuck_out_tongue:
For non-Key anime… I like NagiAsu, Ano Hana, Barakamon, and Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun (I think everyone can tell what kind of stories I like, lawl)

Least Favorite anime: VIVIDRED OPERATION UGH
Well, there’s also Vampire Holmes but that doesn’t really qualify as an anime tbh.
Oh, and DRAMAtical Murder. It seriously makes me want to puke.

Favorite moment: Like, every part of Clannad Afterstory from episode 16 onward. Probably others, but specific scenes never come to mind.

Best guy: Marth I don’t know, all of them xD
I love Toudou Jinpachi from Yowamushi Pedal and Kaneki Ken from Tokyo Ghoul

Worst guy: Makoto from School Days and nasty Midousuji from Yowamushi Pedal

Best girl: I really like Shiina from AB! and Celestia Ludenberg from Dangan Ronpa.

Worst girl: Uh, Sekai from School Days

Best cast: DANGAN RONPA AAAAAHHHHHHH and Angel Beats! and Haikyuu!!

Worst cast: Vividred Operation

Guilty pleasure: Attack on Titan and Tokyo Ghoul

Biggest disappointment: Glasslip (which I still gave a 4/5 stars for some reason???)

Unexpected favorite: Clannad (first time I tried watching it I was like “uh no this is too weird”)

Favorite OP: I honestly cannot choose (although the first thing that comes to mind is the Death Parade opening, since it’s been stuck in my head)

Favorite ED: I can’t choose this either

Favorite Soundtrack: Clannad and AB! (Key OST are the only ones I bother paying attention to)

Late to the show: (favorite anime from before 2015 that you only watched this year.) I haven’t watched much this year tbh. One thing I was really late to the shows for was Neon Genesis Evangelion, but I watched that at least a year ago.

Looking forward to in the future: SnK season 2, Haikyuu!! s2, anything that is getting a second season of something I like, anything by KyoAni or P.A. Works really.

So yeah. I really love anime that focus on the characters more than the plot. I love the feels anime.
I HATE magical girl anime (I’ve only seen MSMM, Sailor Moon, parts of Tokyo Mew Mew, and Vividred Operation but I don’t think I can take anymore). I also don’t really like Shounen anime that much…
And episodic anime are just bleh.

1 Like

Lyrical nanoha should change your mind about this. The new season has been a let down but I enjoyed the first 3 quite a bit.

I really enjoyed hell girl and the world god only knows but yeah I see how people don’t like them.

I’ve heard Lyrical Nanoha is good, I’ve just been very doubtful it will appeal to me ^^"

I’ve seen the World God only Knows, and I thought it was okay. Because I liked Keima. It was kind of boring, but the characters were good.

A-P is the good one. Hummingbird is just the new popular thing, like MAL was.
The awkward thing about the three is their purpose. MAL is all about noting and sharing a list of the anime you have seen, and since it’s the most used of the sites, it’s the first to fill in show summaries and bring in reviews. It lives off of popularity, so all of the information on the site comes in a quick burst, and then tapers off.

Hummingbird focuses more on discovery than logging. It has more of a modern design, and focuses more on the friendship/community aspect. Whereas MAL was created to help anime watchers, Hummingbird exists to create anime watchers.
It’s very much a difference in the times. MAL comes from a time when niche things were looked down upon, and it could be considered elitist by modern standards. Hummingbird is a part of the social era.

A-P had already accomplished MAL’s goal before MAL existed, and it had a recommendation system unlike it’s competitors. It really tunnelled in on the community aspect, being a big hub for anime bloggers and the like. However unlike the company-backed MAL, or the modern Crunchyroll, A-P is largely run by a single person. While MAL was growing, A-P was the hobby project of a busy life. The headstart A-P had slowly became less noticeable, until MAL stopped doing anything, and the A-P creator did a massive update on the site, bringing it up to scratch. In recent years it has gone from being a place to list and share anime, to becoming a site for discovering new anime. The tagging system is constantly updated to modern standards, meaning you can find shows, characters and creators with very specific traits. If you like characters with hair over one eye, or characters who play sports, you can find them easily. It has a good consistent amount of reviews coming in. You can also watch anime on the website and update your list on-the-spot, much like the old system Crunchyroll had until 2012, and you can create isolated lists to share. You could make a tearjerkers list, or a comedy list.
It was MAL before MAL, it had the big community-building aspect of Crunchyroll before Crunchyroll, and it had the social sharing and recommending features of Hummingbird before Hummingbird…
But it’s just a hobby project. It’ll probably always be the lesser site.

Or, if you just like lots of info and categorization, Anidb exists.

Transferring everything to a new list can be time consuming, so once you are set on a site, it can be hard to switch.

One of the most, if not THE most soulless show I’ve ever seen. It was so empty that it was creepy.

Mahou Shoujo and Mecha are the two genres I hate. The rest can be good or bad.

2 Likes