Favorite Voice Actors / Seiyū? (Key-related)

Oh, I didn’t notice that before. I’d assumed it was about voice actors in general :stuck_out_tongue:
Well, I don’t know a lot of Key voice actors, if I’m being perfectly honest. I did love Hiroshi Kamiya as Otonashi the first time I watched Angel Beats!, but now I can’t unhear Levi from SnK.

The first time I watched Kanon I actually watched the dub (which I almost never do, and now I can’t remember why I did so with Kanon). I think Yuri and Ayu share the same English VA. I actually think they did a good job, but I don’t have much to compare it to since I hardly listen to dubs.

I’m currently rewatching Air (I only ever watched it once, and that was a few years ago now) and Misuzu’s seiyuu is my favorite so far. I love when she says gao, it is so adorable ~

Favorite seiyuu, huh… Well I don’t have a favorite per se, but one seiyuu always catches my eye whenever I see her as part of the cast: Mai Nakahara.

I guess I’m a bit biased with her roles in CLANNAD and Symphonic Rain and Mekaku City Actors, but there’s something about her voice that’s oddly calming. Heck, I even enjoy watching Wagamama Fairy Mirmo de Pon because of it! And yes, I did enjoy her being part of Charlotte, in a small way :smile:

Ironically, I haven’t finished watching Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita which is a series that really showcases her vocal skill… Or so I hear

edit: Oh hey I just saw from @HeliosAlpha that she voiced Rena in the Higurashi anime. Having just finished chapter 1 of the VN recently, I would be veeeeery interested to see her in that role!

1 Like

Picked that one up just for Nakahara’s voice, and she is really good as a snarky, deadpan MC. Surprised you haven’t heard Rena, she’s like the biggest meme from higurashi. Spoiler scene.

… I need to find a way to put voices into the steam version of higurashi

You and me both. I don’t like reading VNs without voices. Tried this the other day, didn’t work, haven’t looked further since.

Don’t ignore me ^^;

The Steam forums for the game might be helpful. Pretty sure they advertised a mod like that on there.

Oh, who did Akio’s voice? That was a great performance.

Okiayu Ryotaro, his energy certainly is a great part of Clannad’s humor. I remember him being more impressive in the anime than the VN. That’s actually something I’ve noticed a couple of times. The actors seem to go more all out in the anime versions. Excluding Asaki Risa, I don’t think you can go more all out than that.

Thanks.

IMO Masato from LB is the total opposite though. I vastly prefer his VN performance over the anime performance.

3 Likes

Sunohara too imo. He was funny in the anime, but hilarious in the VN.

1 Like

Whoops, I honestly didn’t read all of the rest of the posts. @zetaFairlight didn’t modify the opening post yet, and that makes it all the more confusing

The “Key Discussion” tag is still there, and in all fairness, Aspi could have edited it himself.

Personally I think we wont get very much out of this topic if we seclude it to singularly Key VAs. Obviously, being a Key forum, it will naturally come back to them, but I feel we could get so much more good discussion by opening it up.

Just my opinion.

3 Likes

as for Key related works… Saito Chiwa, of course o.o
but overall, my favorite is Fukuyama Jun

Hello folks!

I’m learning quite a bit with this thread… thanks! : )

OK @Aspirety I’ve updated the title to make it more clear.

Yo Pepe! Yeah, that’s because I was a bit away the last couple of days (amazing sunny days on these latitudes) and I didn’t noticed the suggestion. Done. — Anyway, even when I think this is a very interesting topic in general, I was trying to narrow the discussion to Key-related actors from the very beginning. Like @Takafumi said, I’ve thought the “Key Discussion” tag/category will do the job.
Anyway, to avoid potential confusion I’ve modified the Thread Title a little bit.

Keep on talking you guys, very interesting points of view/tastes.

My favorite voice actress is definitely Miyuki sawashiro. Not only have she done an amazing job with Iwasawa and Sala, she also voiced some of my favorite characters of others series (i.e. Suruga from bakemonogatari, Celty from Durarara and some voices in the Black rock shooter OVA).
She has one of the most beautiful voices I’ve heard in the domain and she really knows how to bring emotions into the characters.

1 Like

I tend to like VA’s who seem like nice people in addition to doing good voice work. That’s why I really like Hikaru Midorikawa. When I heard that he cried for real while recording That One Scene in the Refrain anime, I gained a whole new respect for him. Anyone who sympathizes with Kyousuke that much must be pretty cool, right? And it doesn’t hurt that according to Wikipedia, his favorite anime is Clannad.

As others have said, Chiwa Saitou is amazing. As someone who was more used to hearing her do roles like Senjougahara in Monogatari and Homura in Madoka Magica, when I first heard her as Kotori, I was shocked. It takes so much talent to be able to make one’s voice sound so different in different roles!

And of course I can’t help but love Miyuki Sawashiro. Her voice just has this really unique quality that I find very pleasing to the ears. And while Marina’s voice is gorgeous, I sometimes wonder why Sawashiro didn’t do the singing voices as well as the speaking voices for Iwasawa and Sara. She’s a great singer!

My all time favorite VA is Tomokazu Sugita (Gintoki, Yuuichi, etc), but if it’s someone who took part in KEY’s VNs, then it has got to be Chiwa Saito (Rewrite’s Kotori). She did an excellent job as Kotori and not only that, this:

She’s super talented.

I also like Keiko Suzuki and Hanakana.
Sadly Hanakana doesn’t speak much as Kanade and Kagari. Well, maybe because I haven’t played AB and Rewrite HF…

1 Like

easily Chiwa Saitou. She’s one of my favorites ever, so limiting to Key just makes it that much easier. Glad to see so many others are fans as well. I was really excited when I heard she was going to be in Rewrite, and Kotori ended up being even better than I could’ve imagined.

I guess shoutouts to Tomoe Tamiyasu (Rin). I met her when she came to LA for Anime Expo. She was fun to talk to and almost got her autograph for free but then her manager (?) was all like no you have to buy LB to get her autograph, and I wasn’t going to shell out that much money at the time. Now I might be willing to though.

I like Shizuru’s voice actor. And Kagari’s. And Hinata’s. And Kanade’s. And Kagari’s. And Komari’s. And Kotarou’s. And Sasami’s.

Shizuru’s VA - Keiko Suzuki, Kagari’s VA - Kana Hanazawa, and Kanade’s VA - Kana Hanazawa. They all have such calming beautiful soothing voices that makes you feel like you’re at a calm ocean with no waves.

Hinata’s VA - Ryohei Kimura, and Kotarou’s VA - Masakazu Morita both just have that voice, ya know ? Yeh.

Sasami’s VA - Tomoe Tamiyasu. LOOL !! HER SASAMI LAUGH IS JUST ON POINT !! :joy::joy::joy:

And Komari’s VA - Narsumi Yanase. She just has that kind of kiddish voice that makes Komari likable :slight_smile: Some people find her voice annoying, but I find it cute.