CLANNAD - General Discussion

Hi guys, I just found a very insightful and amazing interpretation to the whole Clannad story. Warning, this link contain spoilers, read at your own risks.

Here’s the link: http://yuenhoe.com/blog/2012/07/clannad-people-and-a-philosophy-of-doing/

6 Likes

Now this is very interesting! I’ve collected the average ratings for each route and displayed the results in the graph below!

Kotomi is considered the best character route by a significant margin! The worst was Misae, followed closely by Sunohara and Koumura. DAT AFTER STORY THO.

Generally though, all these scores are on the high side. CLANNAD is pretty well loved!

4 Likes

It frustrates me how low Kyou’s route is rated, considering it’s my favorite route in all of Key’s stories :frowning:

But then I look at the scale on the left and feel happy again! Man, CLANNAD sure has some pretty high standards

1 Like

I also feel like Kyou and Kappei should’ve been quite a bit higher! :c

Interestingly, Tomoyo and Yukine got exactly the same score…

Ayyyyye! Yukine master race! :stuck_out_tongue:
Glad to see people liked Yukine’s route as much as I did.

Holds a lot of weight and subtlety towards the bigger picture. Despite people usually calling it filler in the past.

Plus, it’s impossible to not like Yukine. And if you do, you should feel terrible.

2 Likes

Surprisingly, Fuuko route got a fairly high score, considering the direction of the route’s discussion here. Basing on the anime alone, it must be because of the high entertainment value. Well, it’s considered to be among the most emotional Clannad arcs outside After Story, after all.

But hey, nice that Kotomi’s score is high. :smiley:

I’m very surprised at how high Kotomi’s route is rated. Guess it goes to show how masterful a storyteller Yuuichi Suzumoto is. :smiley:

I’m fairly okay with how the rest of the graph plays out. I mean, Fuko’s my favorite of the bunch, but I can’t really complain with how everything fares on this graph. That bias towards After Story, though… :hushed:

1 Like

Yay! Kotomi’s route~ I think when I look back at CLANNAD now that is my favorite. I had gone into it disliking Kotomi, and was quickly charmed into changing my mind there, and I just really enjoyed the progression overall.

“Kotomi After - Its a wonderful life” should have been another spin-off. Who says you can only spin-off 1 heroine ? I’m still waiting for the Kurugaya Wafter ! #-#

2 Likes

Maybe I’m biased, but the low Kyou rating makes me sad. :disappointed: On the other hand, Kai (the writer) once said it’s very much an “anti-Key” kind of scenario, so maybe it’s just not what everyone’s looking for in a Key work.

3 Likes

Her rating is at a 4. That’s not low at all compared to routes from other Key works.

I hope you know why Kud’s fandisc is called “Wafter” :kudshock:

Yeah same… but as stated, it’s actually high compared to other works. CLANNAD just has very high standards.

Actually that’s one thing I love about CLANNAD, even back when I read it in 2010: None of the routes are actually bad. It’s a solid VN all throughout and that’s something other VNs have a hard time achieving.

Well, relatively lower.

Glad to see people liked Yukine’s route as much as I did.

Her route was OK, but I could just not see and hear Yukine without grinning ear to ear. Its amazing how well they demonstrated how calming her presence is. Everything from her sprites to her style of speaking and voice is just indescribably cute.

I also feel like Kyou and Kappei should’ve been quite a bit higher! :c

I loved Kappei’s route. I know that it was left out of the anime because it doesn’t really tie into anything, but it was so short it could have easily been fit into a single episode (at least better than Kyou and Tomoyo’s routes were). I feel like it could have brought a lot (more) feels to the show at the cost of only one episode. They could even have added the epilogue in After Story.

2 Likes

Just finished reading After Story (and listening to the After Story podcast) and just wanted to pop in and say thanks for the podcasts and bookclub discussions! They really helped me better grasp some of the themes of the VN and to look at things in a different way (even though they are now about a year old).

I’m probably one of the few who read the VN before the anime (which is what I will watch next since I’ve finished reading) and I was almost completely blind (only knew one big event from After Story) so everything was new to me. For some anime I like to go back to previous discussion threads and read other people’s comments and takes on things just to get better immersed and catch anything I missed, so when I found the podcasts and route discussions I liked being able to do that for this VN as well. I had to catch up (I had already read Misae and Tomoyo) but after listening to those I made sure to leave time to listen to the route’s podcast before jumping into the next route.

As for Clannad itself, it sits at the top of my (rather short at 9) VNs read list with Fate/Stay Night, Fate/Hollow Ataraxia, and Steins;Gate beside it. I was hooked pretty early and really got into it, especially with how it made me really care about the characters. At first, I didn’t much care for Tomoya and his attitude (I had similar feelings with Okabe in Steins;Gate at first) but as time went on I grew to like just about all the characters in their own ways. However, I think Nagisa was my favorite character overall, and not just because she had the most time spent on her. I followed the route order in the book club and found myself really enjoying the short scenes with Nagisa when they would happen in other routes, so to finally conclude the school arc with her route and continue on with it was something I had been waiting the entire game for (those first few scenes in common with her, meeting her on the hill and having lunch with her, sold me).

Clannad was a spectacular ride and makes me 2/2 on good Key VNs (the other being Planetarian which was my first ever VN). Eventually I would like to have read them all (Tomoyo After and Clannad Side Stories being next, followed by maybe Air?) so when I do get around to those that have had bookclubs done I will be checking those out!

8 Likes

Thank you so much @Z-95. Hearing comments like this makes me feel like the Bookclubs were absolutely worth the effort.

I really hope you’ll join in for the upcoming Little Busters! Bookclub when it launches on Steam! I’d love to hear your thoughts on that one.

Hello Everyone!! I just joined Kazamatsuri recently, and I wanted to interact with the community and make some Key friends (YAY! :blush:) So! My first Key Anime I have ever watched, what introduced me into the world of feels and emotion, and otherworldly drama!.. CLANNAD!

This was my first Key anime, my third anime I have ever watched and became my favorite anime instantly and gives me a lot of nostalgia and is a special place in my brother and I’s hearts! :heart: We watch all anime together, and me and my brother will always remember the feels (that no other anime had), and memories that we cherish together from this anime!

So, I want to know everyone’s opinions and memories with the Anime, so I can make friends and talk about Clannad with you all!

I’ll start with a question I have for you all. What was your funniest memory in Clannad/Afterstory? One of my favorites that comes first from the top of my head, is when Sunohara is told from Tomoya to say something and always follow it up with “All that… and a TOILET!!!”. It’s hilarious and so silly, but I love it so much, Sunohara is one of the funniest characters in existence!!! Now, tell me your guys’ favorite funny moment in CLANNAD the anime!! :smile: :blush: :heart:

2 Likes

Mine would definitely have to be his pranks with Fuko. Especially where he does a switch with Ryou and convinces Fuko he changes genders. That’s a classic.

2 Likes

Haha! Oh yeah! I remember that, those moments with Fuko are 10/10!! :joy:

Tomoya giving Sunohara “great” tips on how to win Tomoyo’s heart.
“Daijoubu!” The squats killed me xD

2 Likes