CLANNAD - General Discussion

Oh yes, my friends and I laughed pretty hard at those lyrics.

I just like to think of it being in a language that isnā€™t english :stuck_out_tongue:

Gotta love that Lia voice though~

When I first heard the song, I thought the lyrics were translated cause I saw the English dub for the series(and Iā€™m not and will not be ashamed in saying that). Then I heard the song last year and realized it wasnā€™t translated at all and that the song was sung fully in English and I was like okay, that was interesting. :smile:

1 Like

I first really noticed it when I was rewatching with my sister. During the ibuki wedding and fuko scene when it plays my sister was crying and I was just trying to hold in my laughter.

@Telnaior hasnt. Watch out, because weā€™re about to spoil everything. (notreally,themodswillbeatyourassinifyoudo) :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Yup, thatā€™s me. Gonna read it once I get my hands on the localisation (either that or once I get through everything else in my queue), but in the meantime I know absolutely nothing about CLANNAD. Going in blind is fun~

2 Likes

The lyrics of ā€œAnaā€ start out seeming like ordinary Engrishā€¦ but then they proceed to get more and more and more broken. It really is funny, and actually kind of distracting.

2 Likes

Now that youā€™ve brought that to my attention, it is going to be very distracting ahaha.

Da pleiz cheinjes and gooos.
Laik a wind laik clauds. Laik da treices of da haat.

Thatā€™s how it sound for me (you have to read it with spanish vowels).

Hey man Liaā€™s pronunciation is beautiful :< not her fault Hagiwara couldnā€™t write English

1 Like

Itā€™s just that, when I was about to cry from Fuukoā€™s scene near the ending, that beautiful music and voice was stabbing my eyes to gouge out my tears, then, when I started to hear the lyrics more attentively.
ā€œLaik da treices of da haatā€ it almost stopped that catharsis and turning the cry to laughter. If I hadnā€™t choosen Fuuko as my first route, Iā€™m pretty sure I had ended up laughting.
But I understand that Liaā€™s pronunciation is beautiful, it requires a lot of talent to pronounce those japanglish lyrics written by Hagiwara without losing any feelings and stabbing right at the heart of the reader/listener.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure whether this should be posted in this discussion or somewhere else, but Iā€™ll just go ahead:

Did you read CLANNAD all by yourself or did you use a walk-through or a guide? I played it a long time ago up to Nagisaā€™s route (finished all the other routes) but I cannot imagine how one would play it without a walk-through. There are so many choices that influences the outcome, do you really try them all? And if you are actually capable of finishing it yourself, how do you do it? Chose randomly and keep trying again or is there some logic behind all the choices that I cannot see (yet)?

Just wondering :wink:

1 Like

I initially played without one which got me on Fukoā€™s path, but when I tried to get some of the other routes I quickly caved and ended up using a guide. Some of those flags are really tough. I would have probably tried some more with a different mindset, but at the time I was really into CLANNAD because of the anime and my highest priority was just to experience more of it.

There is a logic behind the choices, but you wonā€™t know what you need until you see in post that you needed it =P

1 Like

I tried playing by myself for the most part, but I sometimes used a walkthrough when I failed to get on a route too often.
I remember Kyou route being the hardest to complete and Iā€™m not sure whether I used the walkthrough for it or just brute-forced my way through it by trying all options. I probably used it for Misae route, too. I believe I used it to get on Kappei route. And then thereā€™s stuff like Koumura route and Jet Saito that are nearly impossible to get without a walkthrough.

Overall, I actually like the amount of possible choices in Clannad, because it actually feels like a game that way. The difficulty of Kyouā€™s route, for example, added to the overall experience of the route by showing just how complicated and hard the situation is that the characters have to face.

Though it does get frustrating if you fail to get on a route several times. And some decisions are not at all intuitive, like in Misaeā€™s route where you basically have to tell her the exact same stuff as some other guy from her past.

What I also like about the choices is that you are sometimes on a fork between several routes and Tomoya has to conciously decide which girl heā€™ll keep pursuing ans which one heā€™ll stop visiting.

1 Like

Nice question! I played it mostly by myself, but there were certain routes that I simply couldnā€™t get without a walkthrough (notably Kappeiā€™s route). Yes, CLANNADā€™s choice mechanism is pretty convoluted, especially compared to other Key works. At times, it gave a nice interaction to the player, but other times, it just made things frustrating

1 Like

I read almost all of Clannad without walkthrough, I just travelled where I felt like, then after finishing some routes, I started choosing using my memories to unlock scenes that I hadnā€™t saw before.

I think the only time I used a walkthrough was for the answers on Misaeā€™s route and to unlock Jet Saito.

By the way the baseball route was a real surprise, I thought that I would enter Akioā€™s route, but never expected to see that beautiful arc.

1 Like

I read some routes were hard to get without one, tried once got a bad end (I think for Kotomi) and used a walk through. It was my first VN though and I probably would have got some routes if I actually tried past that.

I remember when I first played through Clannad I had no idea how visual novels worked, I knew that I had choices that would influence the story, but the only reference I had was Mass Effect, so I thought that no matter what I chose the story would keep going. I decided to just do what I think I would do in real life, and I ended up in Misaeā€™s route. When I got the bad end (I didnā€™t tell her I liked the smell of her rug or something) I was so confused when the credits rolled. I was like "Where was like ā€œThat was it? Where was Nagisa and Kyou and all the rest?ā€ because I had seen half of the first season of the anime.

1 Like

Such is the beauty of visual novels. That is something that most people gotta figure out for themselves as most people may not figure it out at first. Especially considering what kind of games most people are used to :x

2 Likes

The one thing that I honestly dislike about the design of Clannad is how you have to play the routes in the right order to get the true ending. It would be fun to just feel through the game blindly and experiment with every route until you naturally get to the end of the story, but you canā€™t really do that if you want to see the whole ending.