CLANNAD - General Discussion

Hey @BotanRugbyBall, thanks for following along with the Bookclub and sharing your insight! Love the username :stuck_out_tongue:

I know we have some members into their 30s here, but I think you might be one of the older members here, so I’m especially excited to hear your perspective. I’m really glad you gave CLANNAD a chance despite feeling it differing from your tastes; it seems that you did genuinely enjoy it for the most part. May I ask, what appealed to you in CLANNAD? Did the comedy scenes hit their mark? Was it the emotional impact that kept you coming back? Or did you find it genuinely thought-provoking?

I’d be very interested to know if you plan on playing any of Key’s other titles, in the hope that I might be able to offer some recommendations. planetarian in particular is amazing, and only lasts about 4 hours reading time total if you’re looking for a short experience that delivers in some pretty different ways to CLANNAD.

Thanks Aspirety

Well I still enjoy slapstick/juvenile humour so that appealed to me with Sunohara as buttmonkey , Akio and Kyou are just so much fun too so there was that, but it was really the Kotomi story that got to me emotionally, perhaps I can say more in that discussion (not sure how to do spoiler tag here yet!). Plus you have the mystery element so that it became more than just “questing” for objects and winning or making the good ends. The VA too is outstanding even though I know little more than a few words of Japanese, plus some great tunes ( “Country Lane” just gives me a huge lift!)

If anyone remembers a turn of the century TV show called "Roswell (High) " that is another story that sounded very unappealing to me but with a similar background of High School kids on the cusp of adulthood trying to find out who they really are and reach their goals while dealing with many issues. There is a little synchonicity with Max (wants to use his powers for good) and Michael (delinquent with a good heart) from that show and Tomoya. I grew to love it so it could be that background which made CLANNAD interesting for me after all, despite being animated rather than real actors or photo-realistic character art. The characters do become like friends you can care about; and, er I had something in my eyes a few times :wink:

As for other titles, well I could put Rewrite+ on my shopping list when the official English version comes out…

5 Likes

Okay, I’m convinced. You need to read Little Busters when it comes out on Steam. You’ll love it.

1 Like

I guess I could end up playing the whole Key Studios catalogue :grin:

Could be I’m a sucker for nakige and I’ll be playing them until I’m as old as Koumura…

2 Likes

Talking about funnies: last night I watched the anime episode in the After Story where the Furikawa family drink saké with Tomoya - oh boy, having read the VN I knew what was coming but they really nailed it in the anime and the animated scene was just fall down funny - I haven’t belly laughed so much in years :joy:

1 Like

Clannad was the first Key Anime that I watched, and after watching Kanon, and in the middle of Air right now, Clannad is by far my favorite right now. The emotional high and low, and the attachment that you get with the characters is definitely beyond the attachment to any other anime series for me. I recently got the VN (man kickstarter physical editions are sooo expensive… yet worth it haha), and I am looking forward to diving in more.

For those who have watched both anime and VN, which VN route would you suggest for someone to start first? I’m very new to the VN genre, and I am interested in learning more about the story. Even after watching anime several times and using the Google, there are still many questions I am curious about.

1 Like

Hi, I think the “Baseball” route is often suggested as the first ( which I did after blind playing my way to the generic bad end first which turned out to be fairly short in my case) - and it’s good but it’s just the same as the anime albeit taking longer through the VN, I hadn’t seen the anime though before playing.

Since you have watched the anime though it’s not the same brand new experience for someone who hasn’t seen the anime to get a good introduction to all the characters, but it’s quite satisfying perhaps for someone new to VNs.

That said playing blind without walkthrough and just seeing how it turns out for your choices isn’t a bad idea, because going badly wrong is a good lesson! The golden rule is save often…

You should follow the CLANNAD Bookclub! https://kazamatsuri.org/clannad-bookclub/
There’s a recommended route guide, and a walkthrough. Plus, you can listen to the podcasts after each route.

3 Likes

That is a fantastic idea! So I do the line and then listen to the podcast and here what other people say about it?

3 Likes

Yeah, you should read the topics and post in them too, since not everything talked about in the podcast is from the forum.

If you read and hear the podcasts as you finish the routes, it would be a nice idea for you to make a post for each route talking about what you thought about it and agreeing or disagreeing with what they say. I’m sure everyone’s views on every route is at least slightly different.

3 Likes

Even if I am late to the conversation by a year? Going to take me awhile to do the VN so I am going to take my time and enjoy it.

It doesn’t matter if you’re posting 5 years after the last post! A topic isn’t dead until we are.

Well more accurately, a topic isn’t dead until Kazamatsuri closes down, however many years from now that might be :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

I’ve had a pretty rotten last couple of weeks with various issues, so I decided to watch the Clannad anime again ( went through it first time just last December ). What a good choice - I’m about halfway through the first season and it’s hard to express how much it has given me such a great lift when I really needed something to cheer me up. The Fuko route had me laughing out loud often even though I’ve been thinking nothing could make me laugh at the moment ( well I have cried a bit too!).

The music is so inspirational too. Thank you Key!

5 Likes

Sekai Project has released CLANNAD - 10th Anniversary Artbook and CLANNAD - Anthology Manga on Steam as CLANNAD DLCs!

2 Likes

OH MY GOOOOOOD!!!

Clannad deleted all my endings! It turns out that it was not finished downloading, I had gone through 33 playthroughs and one After Story unfinished. Aww man! I had gotten nearly 100%, then boop, when I booted it up, WHAM! ALL DEAD ALL DEAD.
(The version I got was the fan translation from some time ago, not the official one… so sad. ;-; )

This actually happened to me in 2013 (I lost unfinished saves of Clannad, Rewrite and Kanon) and I was so angry I quit visual novels for a few years.

I see Clannad + AfterStory combined is being pushed as an English language Blu-ray release in December (for USA, Region A only?).I suppose they were only available separately before? How about a region B release please?!

https://shop.sentaifilmworks.com/products/clannad-clannad-after-story-complete-collection?utm_source=social&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=august-solicitations

3 Likes

Just go with what you feel for the first playthrough and try to get a couple of routes yourself. Clannad does have one or two difficult-to-get-to routes. For those, you can always look at walkthroughs.

1 Like

“Yukine’s route… Again?” :ehhh: