CLANNAD - Fuko Ibuki Route & Character Discussion

This was my favorite arc in the anime mostly for the emotional impact; I’m not quite sure now that I’ve re-experienced and appreciated better the other narratives, but I still like it even now but much because I just do. The initial SoL was draggy as most initial SoL scenes Clannad has, but once the story got to the Fuuko pranks, everything was nothing less than entertaining. The only jokes I couldn’t like were the ones involving deep wounds: I like my dark humor sometimes, but that was a bit disturbing for me. XD

I also used to hold Fuuko as best girl, but I guess my tastes have changed over time. Of course I still adore her – she’s this socially awkward girl who’s doing her best not just to make friends, but also to achieve her sister’s happiness. It’s sweet, but she also has a surprisingly strong personality, which has been touched upon here before.

While reading this route, I was pretty much prepared to agree to the criticism that a lot of the drama felt like they were just happening for no particular reason other than being a drama fuel… right until one of the dialogues mentioned about “dreaming…” and HOLY SHIT SOMETHING DAWNED ON ME. (I’m not sure if this sort of discussion happened in the bookclub… sorry if this turns out to be merely redundant. :yahaha:)

Do you know the feeling when you have a dream, and when you wake up, you begin forgetting about it?

That’s it! That’s exactly it!

Because Fuuko’s physical body is still sleeping, her experiences as a manifestation in the school grounds is her physical body’s dream, and so is her existence as such to people around her. So when her physical body suddenly inched closer to death, her current dream and her existence as a dream was disturbed, and that was why people were starting to forget her – at that point, she was being a dream about to be forgotten.

And that also perhaps explains why people who see her physical body no longer see her dream – those people were already in her reality side of things, something like that.

Fuuko’s story at this point comes off to me as a story of a girl who wishes for her happiness while dreaming, but because she wishes for her happiness to truly happen, her dreams spill over to reality. It’s weird, but I kinda like it. (potential After Story spoilers?) Maybe I’m getting somewhere about this being her dream world thing to the entirety of Clannad’s narrative… let’s see. :))

I think I can give this a score of 4.25: a bit too much plot holes, but enjoyable all throughout.

4 Likes

BlackHayate02 well I was about to try and write a little something to say why I adore Fuko and here route but you pretty much said everything here for me already!

Her trances and Tomoya’s pranks are a highlight even if I feel a little cruel for enjoying them! She’s an adorable and idiosyncratic but probably insanely frustrating little sister and it did give the tragic feels when we learn the truth and she starts to fade from memories of others.

I wasn’t aware of the concept of Ikiryō so that was interesting to learn and it helped me to understand the thinking behind this slightly odd scenario which on the face of it needs major suspension of disbelief. It was definitely portrayed better in the VN compared to the anime as is the mini arc generally IMO except the rather forced romance option.

Fuko: I am horrible! Wait, that makes Fuko the horrible one! :grinning:

I would give 4.5 Starfish Benders / 5 but will vote 4.

2 Likes

That’s something interesting! And definitely something that flew over my head while reading the novel, heh. But yeah it makes sense that that’s what Maeda was trying to show off during her route. A lot of people do seem to attach being in a coma as akin to being “in a dream” so it was a nice touch… If only it wasn’t already done before, heh heh heh

I really enjoyed Fuko’s arc. I always have a strong connection to characters that don’t want to be forgotten. I remember seeing promotional art of Fuko and her wooden starfishes and made tons of ideas of why she was giving these starfishes away. I was hoping it had a magical connection like she had to give them to assert an existence. But then when the game was released I found out about the story and then read it for myself.

The whole astral projection I know has to do with connections to Japanese lore (Ikiryo) and then J.M Brennan whom t Maeda really admires and uses a lot of magical elements in his stories ( he published books such as The Astral Projection Workbook: How to Achieve Out-of-Body Experiences). I’m super fascinated with magical realism myself and Japanese lore and seeing a return of this from Kanon Ayu’s route, which is my favorite from the the entire game but this time it has a different take. It wasn’t a sad attempt like in (Little Busters spoiler) Komari’s forgetting trope with her brother, which has been done numerous times, and I found it to be one of the worst parts done in a Key game

To me Fuko had something she wanted to accomplish, I love how it transcends in her current condition. I feel it isn’t just for her sister but affirms her own existence to world. One thing I noticed was the symbolism of the starfish was missing. I do recall discussing this back in the day, but that starfish (ひとで) 海星 is the same pronunciation as (ひとで) 人手 which is another person’s hand. So when she gives the starfishes to as many people as she can it’s like a handshake, a greeting.

I also recall a scene in the illusionary world where it clearly indicates Fuko’s presence. I’m not sure at what part but I think she helps you there once you complete her route. I’m thinking this is the part where she’s back into her coma like state.

6 Likes