CLANNAD - Common Route Discussion

I’ve only been able to play about 2 hours so far, but it is 2 hours so good. I really like the lead in both in the world in the snow and meeting Nagisa on the path.

Fangirl Moment{Oh god, I almost cried with happiness when Nagisa delivered her first lines. I love her so much and it made me fall in love with Clannad again instantly! It made it hard to perfectly follow the guide for the common route because I just wanted to be with her 100%}/Fangirl Moment

I am really hoping to get a good set of hours in tonight since I don’t have work tomorrow I can stay up later.

3 Likes

@DMB Just so you know, they remastered the soundtrack. And in some of the songs, you can seriously hear the difference. Ushio (Title screen theme) strikes as an obvious one. You should Youtube the original and do a comparison, it might just surprise you. And Key’s music has always been top notch.

@Aspirety It’s the scene we all remember. :wink:

1 Like

Am I the only one who noticed how much more screen time Nagisa’s gotten than the other girls? As far as I’ve gotten right now (morning of April 16), neither Kyou nor Fuko have even been introduced. It’s like they are trying to make it obvious that Nagisa’s going to be the main heroine.

I can’t remember exact dates but unless you go out of your way you never meet some characters. I believe Sunohara, Nagisa, Misae, Kyou and Ryou are all you’re ever required to meet.

It’s really just the dates. Those characters don’t get introduced until two days later, IIRC

So far I’m about halfway in, and the common of Clannad seems pretty easygoing, and I quite like it. Not as much subtext as AIR, for example. So yeah, common is shaping up to be fun stuff. I’m genuinely laughing at all the Sunohara jokes!

1 Like

He’s a complete dumb ass, but he’s a lovable dumb ass, and that’s why I love him.

On a side note, I have a feeling there is more to this one shot than it originally appears. I guess I’ll find out later.

1 Like

She seems obsessed with her own femininity. That’s probably the foreshadowing for that.

Edit:
Some of the most real bullying I’ve ever seen.
Imgur

3 Likes

Actually, you also can play it so you barely see Nagisa at all. When I read CLANNAD the first time, since I was actively saving Nagisa for last, most of my beginning playthroughs were like that. All you have to do is trust her to be able to take care of herself, and whabam! you never see her again.

Its actually really interesting how the atmosphere of the story kinda changes when you dont obsess over Nagisa. The ratio of time spent with Sunohara vs. time spent with other people kinda goes up, and Tomoya’s existence seems a lot more… depressing. You can kinda even better understand what all that time before the story starts must have been like. Very melancholic. Tomoya is such an amazing character lol.

3 Likes

Who? Tomoya, melancholic? Nah. In all seriousness, I was a bit disappointed with the opening scene of the VN because then it was adapted into the anime, the colors were toned down and very grey, reflecting Tomoya’s melancholic demeanor, but gets bright and colorful once he starts interacting with Nagisa, showing how she was able to bring color and life into his sorry excuse of an existence. I was really sad to see that that effect was original for the anime since the colors were always bright during the same scene in the VN.

As for @Marik’s screen cap, that totally sounds like something I’d do.

Well, as I just said. 1) From your description, you’re currently staying pretty close to Nagisa. When he’s around Nagisa, Tomoya is a lot less “ah, my life is worthless, I’d rather just sit around with Sunohara all day reading manga”. And 2) You’re barely into the story. Wait til you see a bad end.

Reflecting a bit over the baseball scene which I just finished: I didn’t understand shit. I barely know the rules and definitely not all the funky terminology they throw at you. At least Nagisa was as lost as I. I guess it was slightly better than the baseball in LB!/AB!. The laser tag was hilarious though.

A post was merged into an existing topic: CLANNAD - Kotomi Ichinose Route & Character Discussion

It feels like Tomoya really knows how bad of a life he lives at the beginning of the story and doesn’t want anyone else to end up in that situation as can be seen by one of the earlier conversations with Nagisa at the foot of the hill.

Tomoya: “You shouldn’t be late for school, you should be on time like all good students”
Nagisa: “You’re late as well”
Tomoya: “…”

1 Like

Whew I am finally playing this game after being patient for a looooong time, currently i’m on 16th April.

I have to say the translation really shines, sure there are moments when the English doesn’t match, but they do capture the feeling brilliantly, especially and ESPECIALLY Sunohara’s idiocity, you don’t know how loud I laughed while reading his lines, still laughing internally by the way.

And I LOVE conversing with Nagisa (sorry guys, but best girl), the dialogues Tomoya have with her are just so innocent, so pure and so naive. And also the way Tomoya is encouraging and subtely helping her marks the change insde Tomoya, from not caring about a thing in the world to start caring about someone. These really warms my heart, and this is just the start of the game?! Wow I may be overwhelmed by too much warmth and love before finishing this game.

I share the same feeling, it’s too bad that the grey scenery is not there in the game, but hey I’d say even without it, the start is still pretty good.

3 Likes

My first read of Clannad was quite a while back with a lot of visual novels in between then and now. That combined with the new TL, I’m picking up a lot of cool info and stuff that I missed the first time, or probably just forgot.

I mostly forgot how much of a downer Tomoya is at the beginning. He avoids social contact frequently and doesn’t really consider people’s feelings. I think they do a good job showing what kind of person his current life status has made him.

So far in the common route though I’m getting a kick out of the shenanigans with Sunohara. Best comic relief sidekick ever.

I see what you did there.

Its always bothered me that the opening theme is located in the middle of Nagisa’s route and not seen at the beginning of each playthrough.

It’s a pretty symbolic thing, in my opinion.

But hey, if you wait at the title screen long enough, the OP will start playing on its own :kurumu:

1 Like

And he takes all of it too. No matter how many times every single other character makes him a buttmonkey, he still remains such a bro.

1 Like

After all, his special skill is he can get back on his feet really quickly!

1 Like