Charlotte - Episode 12 "Promise"

Sweet episode. I loved the confession scene, I was just going “oh my god I love this” the whole time. A lot more things got closure than I’d thought. Although IMO I’d have been perfect if Yuu ended up channeling Pooh’s spirit and they’d bro it up and go after ability users together. Would’ve lessened the impact of his death for sure, but I’d have thought it cleverly set up.

I wonder if the last episode will just be from the perspective of the characters left behind as they hear from the monster going around looting abilities around the world through some kind of channel. Forever continuing, never having a finish line in sight. Until eventually… he’s done. He got them all. Somehow with only one episode left that’s the only thing I could think of for how the last episode plays out. I’d love to see something different and interesting though.

2 Likes

I guess I’d probably stay silent because I can only say bad things about this episode, and apparently it’s not okay. Having opinion is a bad thing…
And my points were already said by others anyway.

(I don’t believe that there’s such thing as “objectively good/bad writing” anyway, so arguments just won’t work)

Just to make sure there’s no misunderstanding, I’m not trying to eliminate any criticisms for the show, I just want the conversation to be more constructive. If everybody else has said what you want to say and you have nothing else to add, then just keeping it to yourself is probably the right idea. It’s not so much about being positive or negative as it is about keeping the discussion constructive and respectful.

5 Likes

Just thought of this laying in bed but is Yuu having to travel the world to plunder all the users really that bad of a plot point? I think people might have just wished this happened earlier but I’m not sure. Anyway I say this because other fiction has similar “traveling the world or a long distance” structures although they are the focus. Take JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure Stardust Crusaders. The entire plot is Jotarou’s mother is about to die and unless DIO dies within 60 days she will. They’re in Japan and DIO’s in Egypt. They constantly fight his minions and have other things causing delays but they make it.
Again I’m not sure if people don’t like it because it was introduced so late or if they just don’t think it’s realistic which is why I’m asking this.

For me it isn’t the plot point that bothers me, its more of the logic used to reach it. He decides to go fight all these people after he loses his most powerful ability, if he thought to do this (take everyone abilities) 1 episode ago when his first fight was… it would of made more sense and he would of been broken as hell. Instead he lost his ability to leap in the lamest way making him feel super lame… You question if this guy can do anything right… Really it is just backlash from the last episode. The places they go with the plot for me are perfectly fine and I enjoy them a lot, it is just how they get there is where I think they have the problems. I guess you could say since he got beat he wanted to become stronger, and earlier he was afraid to plunder everyone’s abilities however it didn’t show that at all… But it still feels for me like a lame out to me.

They did not solve this problem of him losing his ability in a respectful way and just forced the plot down this way instead, which caused more problems and logic flaws in this episode. I liked this episode I just feel like the fallout from last episode has affected the way people see yuu and the overall plot. For me the anime hasn’t had many problems, but the few problems have seemed to be in major parts. I mean It felt like the bad guys didn’t trick him and yuu was just acting stupid… so it makes you question yuu and his decisions in this episode as well.

JoJo for me is just more clever, because I just think the writing is more clever, even though he is a complete badass time to time he thinks of clever plans and what not. Yuu feels like he is just running on emotion and not thinking about anything… When you compared what shun did with time leap to what yuu did with time leap, or really thus far with plunder you question his ability to do anything… I mean damn Dio didn’t even have time leap just a few seconds of time stop and you saw how overpowered he was.

Yes. He has to travel the entire planet, plundering millions of powers, while millions of people are also trying to hunt him down and stop him, no doubt with power users of their own, and almost certainly willing to use much more drastic measures than Yuu is. And Yuu couldnt even defeat four of them. Hell, Buff Peeps wasnt even there, so really he couldnt even defeat three of them. And that was with timeleap. HOW DOES THIS MAKE ANY SENSE?

2 Likes

Since I’m no expert when it comes to anime in general, here’s my uninformed opinion:
The things we have seen at the end of this episode indicate either the possibility of a second season being made, a crazy idea of putting insane amounts of plot in the last episode, or a huge plot hole which sounds even more reckless to me.
I hope that the last episode will let us to once and for all determine whether the anime itself is ultimately good or not, as there have been numerous arguments for both stances so far.

As for my personal thoughts when it comes to the general outlook, the good episodes slightly outweighed the bad ones; so if the last episode ends up being as good as the last few, I will be satisfied.

1 Like

I ask because in JoJo’s, not only do they follow the monster of the week formula to have constant attacking (not sure how many enemies) but also have to deal with plane crashes, boats sinking, separation, death, hospital visits, getting lost in a desert, etc yet they still make it from Japan (I think a fictional city but not 100% sure) to Cairo in the 60 day limit.
Sure Yuu lost time leap and it would have been better to take the brotherhood (or even student council) but he has at least, invisibility, teleporting, fire shooting, telekinesis and flying would could all be useful for either tracking, catching, or running away plus who knows what else he’ll get.

I’m pretty much in the boat of something wildly altering the perspective in the finale due to what it would have to include if it was as simple as him going on his journey. The other option would be a time skip to his return and what that brings.

Money still on ‘what the fuck’ being the goal because 2manyholes2fixotherwise.

My only comment to the recent posts: Just because he’s off to travel the world and plunder all the abilities doesn’t necessarily mean he’s going to succeed at it

1 Like

Has that clip of someone surrounded in an ocean of blood been in the anime yet? That might be a result of Yuu’s travels.

4 Likes

I think this was my favorite episode so far. I was glad to see Joujirou and Yusa/Misa again, and the episode just made me feel…good. I think it’s what I’d been waiting for from this show. Seeing how everything affected Yuu and it changed him into a better person.
The confession to Nao was abrupt, although I saw it coming. I’m glad it happened, although the execution didn’t sit completely well with me.

I hope something grand will happen next week that will make all the previous episodes seem “worth it”.

Ok so he’s also technically Megaman.

Everytime he beats someone he gets stronger, currently he can posses people, fly, go invisible, move hayai, channel Misa, has pyromancy, has telekinesis, has ‘collapse’, and has a currently unusable timeleap, he might also have the ability to go though walls, erase memories, and hypnotize, depends if he takes those.

If he doesn’t act like a dumbass, he’s already pretty strong and can only get stronger- oh fuck he can just find a healing power and fix his eye and that’s how he’ll time leap.

JoJo’s are kind of invincible though. What killed Kumagami would be nothing to a JoJo, they’re superhumanly durable.

Maybe he can find another power user who can time leap without having to use both eyes. There can’t be only one time leaper in the whole world…

Going by that thought there might not be only one Plunderer in the whole world either.

1 Like

Or only one person who can channel Misa in the world!

1 Like

What if Charlotte is set in the world of Rewrite and (Rewrite spoiler) Yuu plunders Kotarou and saves the world

Rewrite anime adaptation confirmed.

5 Likes

Honestly, if this actually happened (even if it was just someone with a “Rewrite” power, not Kotarou specifically) I would probably laugh for two hours straight. That would be seriously the best ending they could come up with.

I agree.
Well for the sake of both comic relief at least and a crazy excuse to announce Rewrite’s long awaited time to shine in fully animated glory.

The more I think about it, the more I actually hope it somehow miraculously happens in the 1/100000000000000000000000 odds there are in my self-perceived sense of probability.
Or at the very least some kind of Rewrite cameo in Charlotte as a small tease to get people’s hopes up.

better yet, plunder kagari. then do whatever they would normally do idk