Charlotte - Episode 12 "Promise"

Discussion topic for Episode 12 of Charlotte, which premièred on the 19th of September, 2015. All references to outside works and to future episodes must be tagged with a [spoiler] tag.

This topic also hosted Charlotte Anime Bookclub discussion, and was referenced in our Episode 12 Podcast.

You can view the series on:
Crunchyroll in North America and UK
Daisuki in North America
Hulu in North America
Viewster in North America and some of Europe
AnimeLab in Australia

What would you rate this episode?

0 voters

This episode was really good, I love Yusa and Misa so much. Nao and Yuu also have a strong development in relationship, too.

But when I see the next episode… still many problem and just in one episode?

1 Like

I wish this was like episode 9 or something. Sure it would have probably gone back to monster of the week but this time Yuu could use other’s powers and they could maybe skip months at a time and each episode he’s in a different country or something. I liked how Yusa/Misa was resolved which was something I wasn’t expecting to get at all.

1 Like

Best episode so far in my opinion. Still not perfect, since this should maybe happened like 3 or 4 episodes sooner. This episode had more character developement, than the rest of the series. Well, overall I am satisfied with this episode, even though the romance felt kinda forced.

Despite what people say about Yusa/Misa, and Takajou…

I honestly found all of these scenes to be very touching. I enjoyed this episode a lot. I was genuinely feeling so many emotions… Surprisingly so.

However the issue I have is, none of the unanswered questions were addressed.

Kazuki is still screwed, so I think he’s like that forever now… And Sala… Nowhere to be seen. Concerning but hopefully 1 episode left can do it… Doubtful though.

2 Likes

Great episode, a well made way to come to the “plunder everyones abilities” conclusion. Yuu being confronted with making himself responsible for Kumagamis death and the kindness of his friends after that and after all he made through during the series puts him into a situation in which it actually feels right for a 16 yo teenager to basically go off and fight the world.

We probably won’t see much of the actual fighting though, because I doubt that the last episode is going to be 24 minutes of action. Next episode is either an ending to prepare for another season which is very unlikely, or an ending that mostly answers the question if he can keep his promise in coming back alive. Maybe also answering the last unanswered questions, concerning Sara and why he remembered stuff he should not be able to. There isn’t really more than that; the story has basically concluded already; it was about Yuu coming to this point.

Eh. Better than last week’s episode, but a pretty average episode overall. It didn’t have any huge sins, but I feel that it was let down by my lack of investment in these characters. We have the whole Yusa/Misa goodbye, as well as the scene with her parents, but those scenes didn’t hit nearly as hard as they probably intended. Same with Yuu’s confession to Nao. I like Nao herself, but I just don’t care too much about their relationship. The relationship so far has seemed more like an afterthought, rather than anything of any importance, and their romance seems to be there just to be there. I actually wouldn’t mind if they didn’t get together in the end, and just remained friends. Past that, I think everything else was fine as is.

Upon further reflection. Yuu’s plan will fail. It’s inevitable. Considering that new ability wielders keep on popping up, and how there’s thousands of them on the planet, I can’t see how he can take away all abilities by the time he loses his powers. There’ll probably be more ability holders that will show up after he loses his power.

Yuu is Jesus.

4 Likes

Very good episode.

mfw this entire episode

9 Likes

I’m with @Kanon, don’t even know what to expect for next week, I’m just like ¯\ _(ツ) _/¯ whatever

3 Likes

Liked the episode. Just have 1 question. How in the flying fuck are they planning to finish this in 24 minutes. If there were even just 3-4 more episodes I’d be excited at this point.

Either it goes bad midway, or they timeskip to the return of a fucked up motherfucker that needs to be put down.

Or, something completely different! One episode leaves me bewildered at what they plan to do.

I guess I’ll be the second one to express my overall displeasure again.

First half of this episode was great, hands down. Very reminiscent of the good parts of the series, like episodes 2, 5, and 7. However, that pissed me off. It makes me so angry that the series showed signs of having the capability to be good like this the entire time, but wasnt.

But then Yuu walked into his room with Nao sitting there. And then it literally collapsed on itself. Lets be clear. I know we all predicted that Yuu was gonna have to go plunder everyone. BUT ITS FREAKING RIDICULOUS. That is a laughable concept, especially to be the ending of a show. Yuu has shown ZERO capability to do such, as demonstrated by last episode. But even if Yuu was a huge badass, that is still a stupid stupid concept to make the point of a series.

And then as if that wasnt bad enough, then we have the forced romance. Honestly, I can see the chemistry between Yuu and Nao, but the way it was presented was just… Uhhhgg. It just didnt sit well with me AT ALL. And above all, it pisses me off that it feels like it was only thrown in at the end to give Yuu a semi-decent reason to do this ridiculous shit, and some drama over whether or not Yuu will return.

Annnnnnnnnnd after that the whole rest of the episode was focused on this absurd concept, so the rest of it was just uhhhgg.

/sigh… I feel like my angry over this is compounded majorly due to how chaotic this show has been. There has never seemed like theres been a purpose, and if this really always was the goal, then as of right now I really do feel like most of this show has been crap.

All I can hope for is 1) the last episode to somehow by interesting/enjoyable/give this chaotic mess a thought provoking ending, and 2) my view to maybe change a bit when I rewatch it all the way through. (The latter is probably more likely than both you and I think, based on past experience, heh.)

[quote=“Bizkitdoh, post:10, topic:1922, full:true”]
Yuu is Jesus.
[/quote]Its funny, because there is a certain Key character who is actually freakishly similar to Jesus, and its not Yuu.

2 Likes

Don’t forget expecting us to give a shit about Misa for a good chunk of the episode.

I mean everyone who isn’t Yu/Nao/Ayumi is worthless and disposable, but at least they’ve been around, Misa straight up vanished after the baseball episode.

3 Likes

I’d replace Ayumi with Shunsuke. At this point I think Ayumi’s entire purpose was just to be killed and resurrected, and nothing else. She’s completely worthless now.

Yay I’ll be the first line of defense, be it that it isn’t all that big a deal to me-

It’s more of a matter of they don’t really have any other option from what we can tell.

They’re both there for plot devices, but at least Ayumi got development and feels like a character, Shunsuke has sat around making shit plans and angsting, who gives a shit if his plot deviceness is more important in the long run, it doesn’t make his character any less shit than it actually is.

When?