Charlotte - Episode 11 "Charlotte"

Discussion topic for Episode 11 of Charlotte, which premièred on the 12th of September, 2015. All references to outside works and to future episodes must be tagged with a [spoiler] tag.

This topic also hosted Charlotte Anime Bookclub discussion, and was referenced in our Episode 11 Podcast.

You can view the series on:
Crunchyroll in North America and UK
Daisuki in North America
Hulu in North America
Viewster in North America and some of Europe
AnimeLab in Australia

What would you rate this episode?

0 voters

This episode is really tragic. Everything happen with a blink of eyes. I feel sad when looking at how Shunsuke cried when noticing that Kumagami dying because trying to save Nao.

Holy crap with this episode. I’m too shocking now…

1 Like

Long time no see bro. I “like” this ep “so much”.

1 Like

i laughed

wow, that was actually a good episode, it really made up for the last one. Shit happened and their magical superpower is gone now. What happened cant be undone now and I really like it, not because I dont like Kumagami, but for the sake of an actual good ending.

Overall Kumagami did a poor decision and I am not saying this because I dont like Nao, but because now they cant find ability wielders anymore, which makes this really troublesome. For the overall sake of the series I would have wanted Nao to die for some reasons:

1. Kumagami would still be alive
  2. With Nao having more of a connection to Yusa, it might have been possible to get some more out of her power.
  3. It would have given the series way more impact with, let’s call her the female lead, dying some episodes before the series ends.

Well, overall the episode was really good, it’s really just that one point, that kinda bugs me for the aforementioned reasons.

PS: We back to plunder now, boys!

Forced and rushed drama, shoehorned explanation for powers, unnecessary death of Pooh… all of my meh’s

I don’t even feel sad about Pooh, I was just sitting there like “…thefuck just happened?”

Sry Maeda, you dun f’ed up with this series

4 Likes

I never cared much about Kumugami, but this episode hit me hard :sob::sob::sob: Made me realize how much Kumugami cared about other people. Sacrificing himself for Nao. Going to the facialty so that the driver’s family would be safe. Even resisting on telling them anything when they tortured him, until they drugged him. Kumugami is by far, one of the best characters in Charlotte Imo.
Was there a need to strip Nao though ? I mean, frfr.
The best part for me, in this episode, would have to be the fact that YU was only thinking about saving Nao, and was thinking about her in general.
I’m glad the girl only cut Yu’s eye. It would’ve been horrifying if she stabbed him in it.

THAT’S WHAT I’M FUCKING TALKING ABOUT.
I loved every second of this.

3 Likes

NAO. what did they do to you T.T

1 Like

Well, as I hoped, seems like the story isn’t over yet.

The time-leaping is gone and new tragedy comes along. It will be interesting to see how this turns out for Yuus psychological state; he will probably make himself responsible for Kumagamis death. He already had problems with the responsibility before he failed so this result is definitely bad for his state of mind.

He also should get a pretty badass-looking scar now, which would give some new changes in character some visual manifestation.

Kumgami man… You never know how much you loved something until it’s gone.

That was quite the spectacle.
Great episode, loved the explanations and reveal of the Charlotte comet.
No complaints on my end, Very pleased.

1 Like

Who the fuck are these people, and why are they necessary?

Oh wow that was really bad. This show has literally no direction. Its seriously been more chaotic than Angel Beats!

The part of the show I was most looking forward to, “What are these powers, how did they get them, etc” was just blown off as “Yeah, they come from a comet & some supernatural shit that youre just gonna have to believe for no reason. But hey, its all fine and dandy. We just want to cure you. Oh yeah, and every other country wants to kill you. Oh, seems me 3 minute time limit for explaining this huge thing is up. Simple as that, we’re all done.” Seemed like it was literally just shoved in there to give us a reason to have a new enemy.

Once again, Kumagami is the only character who means shit to me. Im gonna miss him, but I dont feel like his death was out of place. Would of been kinda cool if Nao or Yuu had died tho.

Yuu finally almost showing some of sign of being a character with an actual personality when he was breaking down, refusing to go save Kumagami and Nao by himself. But then of course Shun reminds him that he’s just supposed to do whatever he’s told and not have a personality.

I laughed at the actually decent English, heh.

Classic Yuu. When he’s in the slums fighting gangsters, he can beat up a whole gang all coming at him at once. But he cant react fast enough to take over the one little girl who even gives him extra time by jumping first.

I need that “It’s pointless!” sound bit, hahaha.

One thing this episode did very well was keeping the mood the same throughout. The direction and transitions, however, kinda bad. Especially the end. Man, Key sucks at episode endings. It doesnt give me some strong desire to watch then next episode because I wanna find out what happens next; its more like, “Well, I need to watch the next episode now, to get rid of that crappy break in the story right there.”

And the transition to/the ED itself was terrible. Besides episodes 3 and 4, I’ve always thought this show has done a great job with the ending sequence. The song has pretty much fit the mood every time, and when it didnt in episode 6, they changed it. I applaud them for that. But seriously, this was just like ep. 6, and they still… ugh.

All in all, I think the part Ive become most angry with over the past several episodes is how little I care about these characters. And that makes me pretty sad, because I came in wanting to like all of them. But they all seem so, well, to put it in the words of a wise foreigner… “It’s pointless!”

8 Likes

Props to them for nailing English and broken Japanese. Where the heck are they supposed to go from here though? The two ring leaders and the tiny souleater got wrecked, so is Strongman Gonzales going to be a villain, or are we getting more terrorists next week? I would bet they’re moving towards a climax relying on collapse. So far it’s only been about destroying and no rebuilding, but they were very clear about the distinction, so something has to happen.
I don’t like nitpicking, but how did Kumagami save Tomori? The last time we see them in the basement Tomori is hanging from the ceiling and Kumagami is bound to a chair. There doesn’t seem to be a logical sequence of events that would lead to him being able to protect her from falling reinforcing bars.

2 Likes

I felt it was an alright episode overall… my major complaint is that the entire episode was built off of a side character we care nothing about. Everything went wrong because this one guy’s family was in trouble. Maybe to the characters he and his families’ well being meant a lot, but as the viewer it seemed like so many great characters were putting their life on the line for almost nothing. Kumagami’s death was well done and it did hurt to watch, but other than that I felt really no emotion throughout the episode other than confusion. Also the villains were not interesting at all, they are just random tropes to add drama to the show, or so it seems. It would have been more interesting if, at the very least, it was one of the members of the group or some odd to add some actual interest in the villain. Instead it was just generic bad guy A and B.
I did enjoy how they nullified Yuu of his time leap ability. If he had it no matter what happens it could just be reversed again so anything that could potentially be emotional would just feel pointless, but now things are permanent. When someone dies they die, and it’s a shame Kumagami had to be the one to prove that.
Overall it was entertaining and kept be interested while watching, but looking back on it, it was just kind of lazy. And worst of all there is still no major direction for the plot, what is the point of the show? So far I have no idea…

1 Like

One thing I appreciated was that they took away the time-leap power. We were assured that “it’s okay if something bad happens, we can just undo it!” but suddenly, that’s not an option any more, and suddenly everything matters.

One of the most scary feelings is having your crutch taken away from you without being able to plan around it.

EDIT: This show has been turning into Angel Beats for a while now, and I mean that in a very bad way. Remember that train wreck of a reveal regarding whatever-the-fuck “God” thing with Yuri in the penultimate ep? Yeah, getting those vibes here.

However, seeing Shunsuke despairing over Kumagami was a nice touch: for me, I don’t really get sad over character deaths, but over the reactions of the survivors. Even though I didn’t really care about Kumagami, the scene was kind of emotional because Shunsuke started losing it.

Also, I had some hope that this would change, but Yusa and what’s-his-face are literally wasted characters, they shouldn’t even exist in this show imo

EDIT EDIT: I do like Yuu’s characterization in these last eps though – he’s weak and even got jealous that his older brother was getting more attention from Ayumi than he was!!

2 Likes

It is really pathetic how they ended up utilizing them, maybe that will change in the last 3 episodes but I strongly doubt it.

I agree, he’s actually becoming human, not a bland protagonist spewing out pointless commentary every now and then.

1 Like

Ok, tbh this episode wasnt really “bad”. It just isnt what I wanted. Which can pretty much be said for the whole show, unfortunately

1 Like