Charlotte English Dub Announced!

You poor, poor misguided soul. Come, let us walk you on the path of enlightenment.

That said, I actually didn’t necessarily hate Misa’s VA. Everything else just sounds so… bad. Once I got into subs, I’m very much so not a fan of dubbed shows, with a very rare set of exceptions (most of those being stuff like FMA that I watched as a kid). I’m definitely not a fan of the selections they’ve got here. But hey, someone somewhere has to like it, right?

2 Likes

I will have to dig through the Charlotte thread a bit more - there are various parts of Charlotte that were good, but I can’t look at it as a whole and say I enjoyed it.

1 Like

I’m here for Nao to say “Such a turn off!” in dub.
It’s pretty iconic if u know what I mean.

I probably gonna revisit Charlotte in dub just for ***** & giggles.

I actually like Misa’s VA & I was pretty surprised that Ryan Bartley is one of VA in X-Men: Apocalypse

2 Likes

It is interesting but it was cannot play at here cause restrict by region.

In my opinion, this dub isn’t all too bad considering there are much worse ones out there. It’s a bit saddening that ayumi’s golden line isn’t included ):

Why do people seem to dislike dub so much, I’ve watched plenty of anime, in dub and in sub (when there isn’t a dub avaliable), and for years, yet I perfer dub overall. To me, the Japanese VAs are to exaggerated, the girls are too high pitch and the boys are too low pitch. I haven’t watched any key works in sub so maybe there’s a difference in quality from other anime but I very much doubt it. I’m not saying sub is crap, but in MY opinion dub is easier on the ears. Minor point, but accents are so easy to identify in dub.

anyway, I’m excited for this dub release, I’ve been looking forward to Charlotte for so long, despite a friend of mine saying it’s not all that good if you compare it to Clannad and Angel Beats. Fingers cross for Rewrite dubbed (when it’s finally released).

It really depends on the series. Some shows like FMA, Baccano, and F/Z. have dubs that are considered great, sometimes even better than the original, but some shows they are terrible. In the end it really comes down to personal preference. For example, I hold the fairly unpopular opinion of not minding the dubs of Clannad, Angel Beats!, and Little Busters! and even prefering the dub for Clannad, even though I usually prefer subs.

They didn’t dub any of the Monogatari series either, or Nisekoi. Nisekoi especially I would expect to sell better than Charlotte.

There is not really one reason. Dub quality has been all over the place over the years - for a long time the whenever a show got dubbed it also got hyper localized (ex Onigiri would become doughnuts, etc) and that kind of a culture wash was unattractive to people who were really passionate about it.

There has also been often a problem with companies pulling from a fairly small pool of voice actors - while this phenomenon happens in Japan they cycle out and get refreshed more often over there. There is also the way that for some people they are just not familiar enough with Japanese to feel like it is over-acted so the Japanese is easier on the ears.

Attachment is another factor - you hear a character with a voice spend time with them through their journey and then suddenly a company comes along and gives them a totally different voice - it just often doesn’t feel like the same person.

5 Likes

I thought I read somewhere that would be too hard to localize because of all the cultural elements or something?[quote=“kyuketsukimiyu, post:29, topic:2776”]
or Nisekoi
[/quote]

I forgot AoA had Nisekoi, that’s also weird. They even had that waifu war on Twitter about a month ago which seems random if they weren’t promoting anything https://twitter.com/Nisekoi_USA/status/730893031574904832

1 Like

The only Key dub I’ve ever really been able to get behind was the one for Air, and that’s just because I watched it before I started sticking to subs more often. Even now I’d consider it one of the few dubs I don’t mind revisiting, although I am still a fan of the Japanese voices. Kanon wasn’t terrible either, imo, although I don’t remember it as well. My only exposure to dubbed Clannad is through the movie, and the dub was far from the only thing worth criticizing there. And I actively dislike the Little Busters dub.

The Charlotte dub seems to fall into the latter category for me based on this trailer, but at this point I’m anti-dub enough that I’d probably say that regardless. I’m just not the target audience here. :kurumu:

1 Like

Hey now, the clannad movie dub was amazing! Although for a whole different slew of reasons

2 Likes

whenever a show got dubbed it also got hyper localized (ex Onigiri would become doughnuts, etc) and that kind of a culture wash was unattractive to people who were really passionate about it.

This! But your example is only a small in script change! They usually totally rewriting and simplifying whole dialogues, and final product is - as you said - totaly washed out with japanese culture and other nuances which are making anime “good”. I’m not watching anime for hearing 'murican culture references, slang or talking style. I don’t like american culture. If I would like to see a western show, I would watch a western show, insted to anime. It was a main reason why I’ve got interested in anime years ago, their specific humour, their talking style, they polite speech, their language and whole culture.

It’s bad and totally unbearable along with voice acting which is terrible for me (OK, Nao’s voice is not that bad). When I heard Ayumi’s voice I’ve almost got a heart attack. If you are from country where English is not a primary language, than you can really tell/feel the huge gap between eng dub and orignal VA.

I’m not saying sub is crap, but in MY opinion dub is easier on the ears. Minor point, but accents are so easy to identify in dub.

Since when something easier to understand = better? You are missing TONS of things in dubs and you don’t even know about it.

2 Likes

Angelo english voice actor, who and when pls?

The rest are irrelevant.

If they do not do Angelo justice, this dub is 1/10.

3 Likes

They could at least have the decency to hire a Fil-Am to do the voice acting for him T.T

That or they keep the original voice (which will be amusingly terrible) :))

Guys, this is not the place to argue about subs vs. dubs, nor would I even want to have a topic where that is allowed. Its a stupid argument, and has no “answer.” If you have something to say about this Charlotte dub (which btw, we only have heard like 2 minutes of, so I have no idea how so many of you have such strong opinions about it yet, but), then say it, but dont bring up things about subs in general or dubs in general.

8 Likes

Yeah sorry you got a point, I think I started this, my bad.

1 Like

Never forget Oh gosh.