AIR - Michiru Character Discussion

I didn’t see a discussion topic around, even though Haruko and Hijiri have one, so…

Here is the discussion topic for Michiru’s character in AIR. Feel free to discuss anything from Minagi’s route, but mark any references to events outside of Minagi’s arc and the common route with the [spoiler] tag. (Credit to Aspirety for the copied text. Stay awesome, man.)

I know I am not alone when I say that Michiru is pretty annoying at times. She’s rather unapologetic and not very honest in her actions, but what I do know is that she loves Minagi very much. Without spoiling much, they share a connection that somehow transcends even death (then again, in what Key game does that not happen?). I’ve grown rather fond of Michiru, because I know how she feels and what she’s been through (I’ve seen it happen twice already in other Key games!). She may not be the best character ever, but I’ve grown rather attached to her over the course of Minagi’s route. What do you guys think of the little pipsqueak?

AIR Bookclub discussion begins from this post onward.

2 Likes

What I don’t get is how she suddenly went from kicking-yukito-in-the-solar-plexus to genuinely enjoying her time with him.

I guess I just don’t get how this kid thinks >_<

1 Like

The word “tsundere” comes to mind. (Michiru/Minagi) I like to imagine that she would have become much more ‘dere’ than ‘tsun’ as time went on if it weren’t for her having nowhere to develop toward.

I’m not particularly a fan of her character but I don’t really find her all that annoying either. I know a few people IRL that are/were rather similar to her. My niece, for example, used to act just like her, and our interactions were rather similar to Yukito’s and hers (although I never actually hit her, like Yukito would to Michiru).

1 Like

A few reasons I can think of:

• Minagi is the most important thing to her; this guy makes Minagi really happy.

• She’s young. If someone is fun, she’ll like them. (At around that age, I convinced a bully to stop bullying people because I wouldn’t be his friend if he continued. We were good friends until the end of school. Opinions are fickle.)

• They got to know each other after spending slightly under a month together.

• They were similar, so although they clashed, they understood each other. Both of them are kids, but both of them are old.

• They have a brother/sister dynamic. They bully each other, but like each other’s company.

3 Likes

Just updated the OP to say that we will be keeping an eye on this topic for the podcast! Thanks for making it @EisenKoubu!

1 Like

[quote=“Aspirety, post:5, topic:967, full:true”]
Just updated the OP to say that we will be keeping an eye on this topic for the podcast! Thanks for making it @EisenKoubu!
[/quote]You are most welcome. I did create this topic because I know Hijiri and especially Haruko will get a lot of discussion in future routes, and I found it a shame that Michiru did not have a discussion topic, since she is a very important character in Minagi’s route. Thank you for understanding.

[quote=“Takafumi, post:4, topic:967”]
Minagi is the most important thing to her; this guy makes Minagi really happy.
[/quote]I think that’s the main reason why she decides to let Yukito fulfill her final requests, because she knows that Minagi enjoys Yukito’s company, and he has already proven himself capable of supporting Minagi (moreso if you picked the good ending).

They got to know each other after spending slightly under a month together.
[/quote]Development, man. Gotta love it.

They have a brother/sister dynamic. They bully each other, but like each other’s company.
[/quote]I cannot tell you how many years of sibling abuse went by until I actually tried to understand my siblings. I remember my brother almost tried committing suicide twice because he could not stand the abuse. It was then that I began to realize how much of a negative impact I made on his life: he was constantly being bullied at school, he could not concentrate on homework, and he refused to even listen to what I had to say. About two years ago, we were put in a situation that forced us to cooperate with each other, and we spent time listening to each other’s grief and playing around, something that I had never been able to do when he was younger. Now, he’s the closest thing I have to a friend on this earth. I suppose the same could be said of Yukito and Michiru’s situation, except while I spent more than six months bonding with my little bro, they only had one month, so there’s still a bit of conflict between them. Minagi’s unhappiness forced them to work together, and it created a bond between them. While there are still things that make them hate the other, they have more of a connection with each other.

2 Likes

I actually re-read some parts and I think the time when Michiru changed from hating Yukito to enjoying with Yukito was when she was watching Minagi fix his puppet for him, and she said “thank you” to him for making Minagi happy. Thus, I believe this the most:

Now then abooout Michiru…

First thing I put down on my notes here is that there’s a certain BGM, the one played in the very first part of the VN, that always refers to a “motherly” aura. It always plays when Yukito remembers his mother, for one. But it also played when Minagi was talking about her sister (which, at that point, she must have already knew it was the same Michiru). So, more than just Minagi being a sister to her, I feel that she was a mother to her. A lot of her upbringing was done by Minagi and maybe even parts of her personality were caused because of how Minagi interacted with her over the years.

Which segues to my next topic about Michiru. We all know that she is somehow connected to the girl in the sky that Yukito is looking for. Heck, she says it herself, that she found a small portion of that girl’s dream, causing her to materialize. Her original intent in going to the world was because she felt sad for the girl and wanted to show her some happy thoughts. After a while, though, we see that Michiru herself becomes selfish and wishes to stay even longer with Minagi.

The question is, where is that selfishness coming from? To put it more bluntly, where exactly is Michiru’s personality coming from? Let’s face it, she died before she could even be raised to have a personality, yet when Minagi first meets her, she is a functioning human child. She said it herself, people can’t live without memories, so how was she able to live?

My theory is that Michiru’s personality is originally that of the girl in the sky. We see many instances where she talks as if she is that same girl. Especially in the ending, where she requests Yukito to continue looking for that girl. Also when she mentions that “there’s another me” when referring to that girl (actually, much like Misuzu!). However, her personality diverges once she spends time with Minagi. She develops her own memories. And that is what makes Michiru the Michiru that we know.

I guess, in hindsight, this does seem kind of obvious, but I guess it was something worth thinking about. The real, half-sister Michiru, after all, seems a bit more outgoing than the girl-in-the-sky Michiru, when Minagi first speaks to her, at least.

Another thing worth mentioning was how she was avoiding Minagi’s… rather, her own mother. She probably knew about the mother’s situation. Whether it was something Minagi told her, or something she found out about herself, she knew. And she knew about her getting better. Which is why she was so afraid upon meeting her, because she felt that having her mom see a girl with the name “Michiru” will bring up the past and may just cause the same trauma all over again (and had that really cute smile when she realized she wouldn’t). That aside, though… how did she know?

I find it doubtful that she was a stalker. And at the time her mom got better, Minagi was too engrossed with other things. So, the way I see it, she probably got the information from the girl in the sky as well. She must have some sort of connection with her, after all. Since the girl can see some parts of the world (we don’t know which, though), she probably was closely watching the Tohno family’s mother. So she probably somehow transferred that knowledge to Michiru.

So yeah, if anything, Michiru gives us a closer look to that “girl in the sky” and kind of tells us that she has the ability to project herself into a new person separate from herself, yet still keep that connection with her… And this is going off-topic now, but since Misuzu did say in the common route that she feels there’s another her in the sky… Could Misuzu also be one of those projections? I honestly totally forgot most of the details from the anime, so this is just getting me more excited to find out XD

3 Likes

This is what I was referring to with

Ohhhhh yeah that just flew over my head, whoooops xD

Interesting. I’ve been thinking about this a lot as well. But as for how the girl in the sky ‘knows things’, you could just look at a line in the VN. Off the top of my head, they said something like “The girl in the sky has wings which carry people’s memories”. Maybe the memories of the townspeople? I’ll need to go back and look for that line again, but I think that’s the idea. Each feather is a fragment of the town’s memories. “Michiru” was born into existence from the feather of Minagi’s memories.

But then… Who is Michiru anyway? That was never explained. It was merely explained that “She felt sorry for the girl, found the memory of Michiru, and decided to come here.” But who was she before that? I guess, some aspect of “The girl in the sky” would make the most sense. I don’t mind your projection theory.

Well, assuming souls are real, I’d think it was the late Michiru’s soul who saw the girl in the sky and felt sad for her? That did feel like a more liberal interpretation of it, I think

1 Like

Just a random soul, looking to be reincarnated?

Here are the lines taken directly from the VN:

And here’s a little more to contradict Pepe’s projection theory:

These five lines pretty much confirm that Michiru and the Girl in the Sky are separate entities, although it is just as likely that Michiru is an individual that is heavily influenced by and greatly empathizes with the Girl in the Sky, since she had no memories of life and perhaps even no concept of personality at the time.

1 Like

Hmmm then the only explanation as to how she’d know about Minagi’s mom’s situation is she actually was a stalker?

Well she has always been watching Minagi, they just didn’t elaborate how she does it

(Summer arc spoiler) At first I had thought the girl in the sky was Kanna, and Michiru was the miscarried child('s memories, from within the womb). Kanna’s curse might imply that she’s not the girl in the sky. If she’s not then it would have to be someone like her, I imagine. I don’t remember the Summer arc too well, and I expect that I’m missing something vitally important… I’m not confident in that theory, though.

I agree with this (in the above spoiler).

Minagi Route of the Bookclub is now OVER, so we’ll be focusing on the Kano route for the next two weeks. Thank you for your contributions, and I hope to see you there!

Let’s see… How do I feel about Michiru? In the beginning she was portrayed as a very simple kid, a bit of an annoying brat actually that kept attacking Yukito for no apparent reason. Maybe she was just overly protective of Minagi? I guess that’s fair. She did grow on me by the end of the route though, and I did feel sad when she disappears.

Her existence is very peculiar though, and seems to hold a lot of insight into the world of AIR. She originally existed as some kind of entity in the sky (maybe a Deva, if we’re following Buddhist cosmology), who found the girl in the sky and saw all the memories her wings held. One of those fragments, a feather of the girl’s wings, held the memory of Minagi’s despair. Seeing that, the entity decided to be born into the world as a new Michiru through the feather’s power, not only to ease the girl’s heart, but to ease her into accepting the harsh reality that her sister is gone. In the end, it was a small miracle. She was able to give life to a Michiru, but only for a short time before returning to heaven again in the end. Just enough time for Minagi to act out her regrets and see the error of her ways before the dream ends and the bubble pops. I guess you could further imply the connection as the Michiru we know being the same god Minagi prayed to all those years ago. I guess she just arrived a bit late. Do we know when Michiru first appeared before Minagi?

As a character, I guess she doesn’t inspire much in me. But her existence itself gives me a lot to think about.

They are definitely connected. The feathers of the winged ones, as has been shown, provide “memories”. I think memories are an important part of existing (in that, one cannot exist without memories) and, somehow, it allowed for Michiru’s existence through those memories, giving her a personality despite not having obtained memories of her own as of yet.

No specific time, but it was some time after her father left, I reckon. I believe the first scene is when she saw her blowing bubbles near the station.

So, at first

Well, you know, right back atcha kid…

…but I did come to start caring more about her later and felt a bit sad that she had to leave this plane of existence even though she was reconciled to it.

So much this IMO. In the anime, it all happens so fast that there is hardly any time to consider why Michiru is in the story ( and even why the route exists in its shortened form), in the VN though - eventually - I start to feel that her story is intrinsic to the mythos they have created for AIR and helps the reader “buy into” what’s happening.