Ask a Key fan!

This topic will serve as a place for people to ask questions about Key, to hopefully receive an answer from a fellow forum member. Maybe you’re new to Key and want to know which version of Little Busters to get, or maybe you want to know what a piece of music used in an Anime was, or maybe even where in Rewrite a particular event or line took place. I hope we can have plenty of questions and answers thrown around!

Just make sure you abide by the forum Code of Conduct (ie. No linking to illegal downloads and using plenty of spoiler tags when necessary!)

1 Like

To get things running, I have a question for whoever thinks they can answer it!

Where did the term “common route” come from? Was that an invention by english-speaking fans, or is it an official term for the initial hub-section of a Visual Novel? If not, what do the Japanese call it?

I actually didn’t hear the term “common route” until ~2008. Either people weren’t as talkative about VNs then… Or common routes just weren’t large enough to be given a name.
It is needed though, as VNs keep getting larger~

So, I’ve read both ‘Common’ and ‘Shared’ for these, well… Shared stories. I’d really like to know what word is used to name them in Japan, but they both make sense in English as both being shared pieces of stories- Having the same chunk of text in common.

Still… Would be interesting to know for sure, but what they’re called certainly works.

I’m creating information pages for all of Key’s franchises, and I’m hoping to get some help from you guys. Right now I’m looking for information on the length of Key games.

What I’m looking for (listed in priority of highest to lowest):
Total line counts for Planetarian, Tomoyo After, Kud Wafter and Harvest festa!.
Per-route line counts for Kanon, Air, Clannad, Tomoyo After, Kud Wafter and Harvest festa!.
Word counts for any of the games.
And if you want, I would appreciate input on how long in hours you think or you’ve heard a game is. I’d like lengths for Air, Tomoyo After, Planetarian, Kud Wafter and Harvest Festa.

Dude.

EDIT: No wait I can’t read this isn’t good for you.

Don’t the TL groups give totals?

Project Wafuu throws this out every update.
Total Lines: 33132
Total Unicode Characters: 727218
Total KB: 1971.25

VNDB do decent time predictions on the length of VNs too~

1 Like

It’s been a while since I’ve read them. But for “hours”, I’d go with the following (all assuming autoplay set to change text upon completion of spoken lines):

Air: I don’t read Japanese or broken machione translated English, so…

Planetarian: I’d say between 5-8 hours. Not too long, but not exactly chort either.

Tomoyo After: 30-35. I started reading at my own pace halfway through, but I’d say that’s a safe assumption

Kud Wafter: See Air, minus machine translation

Rewrite: 111 Hours. I recorded it for a friend who didn’t have a PC at the time so he could read it on mobile.

Harvest Festa: 20-25 Hours. Assuming most lines are voiced, as it’s scripts are roughly 1/5 the kb’s as Rewrite

1 Like

Most of the VNs have a playthrough on Youtube. The playlists for them should show the length of all the videos combined~
They are always set to auto mode so it’s a good estimate~

1 Like

Does anyone know a good place/site where I can download any of the visual novels?

Please understand.

I have a question about Kanon. With the newest Standalone ‘Memorial Edition’, is there any way to apply an English patch to it?

It should work fine, with a few extra steps~
After installing Kanon ME you would have to manually install the translation patch (by moving the translation files to their corresponding folders) and then replace the Reallive.exe in your Kanon installation directory with Kanon Standard Edition’s Reallive.exe (ver 1.2.6.8) After that, run the English Translation’s reallive-patch.exe on the Reallive.exe and it should be translated.

It might be worth testing this… Thanks!

It definitely works~ :stuck_out_tongue: The only problem is that the custom Kanon mouse doesn’t work. You are left with the default mouse icon.
They moved the location of the custom mouse pointer into the folder where all the other images are stored~

Is there any way to translate Clannad Memorial Edition into English?

There was a patch that I used back then that converted the regular edition of Kanon into the all-ages version…

As for clannad, I am honestly unsure as to the status of the patches of that game. And Doki seems to be pretty quiet about it as well

It’d probably work in the same way as Kanon, but I’d just wait for Doki’s to release.

They have a small team working on it. Currently it is school studying week, but they have been making progress. Doki lost their community manager (who occasionally comments over there) so public updates are rare, however their IRC is a great place to get small update news.

lol

I wouldn’t.

2 Likes

Hey, if it wasn’t for them Tomoyo After would still be lost in the void of abandoned translations.

2 Likes